List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:April 13 2009 8:56pm
Subject:Re: Client Authentication Packet w/ databasename
View as plain text
Hi!

>>>>> "Baron" == Baron Schwartz <baron@stripped> writes:

Baron> OK, so peeking into the protocol is making me think about all sorts of
Baron> things I hadn't before.  For one thing, I assume (but haven't any
Baron> proof) that not only can a network packet contain multiple protocol
Baron> packets, but a protocol packet could be fragmented across network
Baron> packets.  An IPv4 packet can't be bigger than 65k, but a protocol
Baron> packet can be up to 16MB.  True/false?

True (almost) There is no connection between IPv5 and logical MySQL packets.

Note that protocol packets can be bigger than 16M; If a packet has a
length of 16M (MAX_PACKET_LENGTH) it means that it's the current
packet should be extended with information of the next packet.
This is the way we send over blobs that are > 16M.

<cut>

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Client Authentication Packet w/ databasenameBaron Schwartz12 Apr
  • Re: Client Authentication Packet w/ databasenameEric Day12 Apr
    • Re: Client Authentication Packet w/ databasenameBaron Schwartz12 Apr
      • Re: Client Authentication Packet w/ databasenameBaron Schwartz12 Apr
        • Re: Client Authentication Packet w/ databasenameEric Day12 Apr
          • Re: Client Authentication Packet w/ databasenameBaron Schwartz12 Apr
          • Re: Client Authentication Packet w/ databasenameBaron Schwartz12 Apr
            • Re: Client Authentication Packet w/ databasenameEric Bergen13 Apr
              • Re: Client Authentication Packet w/ databasenameKay Röpke14 Apr
                • Re: Client Authentication Packet w/ databasenameBaron Schwartz16 Apr
            • Re: Client Authentication Packet w/ databasenameKristian Nielsen13 Apr
            • Re: Client Authentication Packet w/ databasenameMichael Widenius13 Apr
  • Re: Client Authentication Packet w/ databasenameKonstantin Osipov13 Apr