List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Reggie Burnett Date:March 23 2009 2:10pm
Subject:Re: [style] change proposal: function parameter names in headers
View as plain text
> This is not a matter of pleasing anybody, it is a matter of being able to work
> efficiently with the code and be able to focus on the problem, not the layout.
> For that reason, such things as "pleasing the machine" *may* be important
> because the tools are not good enough (not saying that they are in this case).

They aren't good enough in this case.  Visual Studio has no problem at
all finding the declaration and the definition of a function with or
without parameter names.

Even with the ctags argument, it is very bad practice to not include the
parameter names in the prototypes in the header.  That is the interface
to the module.  We should not *require* a coder to look into the source
file to know what to do in all cases.  Even with functions where a coder
is very well versed in what it does he or she may forget the order of
parameters.  Given a prototype such as   void CopyString(char *, int,
char *, int), does the source or dest come first?  The coder would have
to look in the source to know for sure and likely would have to sort
through both public and non-public functions.

Thread
coding style change proposal: function parameter names in headersIngo Strüwing17 Mar
  • Re: coding style change proposal: function parameter names inheadersSergei Golubchik17 Mar
    • Re: coding style change proposal: function parameter names in headersMARK CALLAGHAN17 Mar
      • Re: coding style change proposal: function parameter names in headersJay Pipes17 Mar
      • [style] change proposal: function parameter names in headersKonstantin Osipov17 Mar
    • Re: coding style change proposal: function parameter names in headersIngo Strüwing17 Mar
      • Re: coding style change proposal: function parameter names inheadersSergei Golubchik17 Mar
  • [style] change proposal: function parameter names in headersKonstantin Osipov17 Mar
    • Re: [style] change proposal: function parameter names in headersIngo Strüwing17 Mar
    • Re: [style] change proposal: function parameter names in headersMats Kindahl18 Mar
      • Re: [style] change proposal: function parameter names in headersKonstantin Osipov18 Mar
        • Re: [style] change proposal: function parameter names in headersMARK CALLAGHAN18 Mar
      • Re: [style] change proposal: function parameter names in headersIngo Strüwing18 Mar
        • Re: [style] change proposal: function parameter names in headersMats Kindahl18 Mar
          • Re: [style] change proposal: function parameter names in headersReggie Burnett23 Mar
        • Re: [style] change proposal: function parameter names in headersMichael Widenius8 Apr