List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sergei Golubchik Date:March 17 2009 6:14pm
Subject:Re: coding style change proposal: function parameter names in
headers
View as plain text
Hi, Ingo!

On Mar 17, Ingo Strüwing wrote:
> Sergei Golubchik, 17.03.2009 13:46:
>
> > I like it the way it is (and actually remove argument names from the
> > prototype declarations sometimes) because that's how it works with
> > ctags - any function definition is only one keypress away when one
> > uses tags. But because tag file uses regular expressions to find a
> > function, for example, /^Restore_info* prepare_for_restore(String
> > *backupdir,/, it is not able to distinguish between the prototype
>
> One could see this as a deficiency of ctags.

One could yes.
I'm not looking forward to writing a "better ctags" though.

And I have a list of gcc definiencies.
We have to work around them too.

> I made an attempt to use ctags ten years ago in the Adabas D project.
> I don't remember why, but I was dissatisfied with it and stopped the
> attempt quickly.
>
> Do you suggest a rule that every MySQL developer has to use ctags?

No, not really. I wouldn't mind suggesting a rule that every MySQL
developer would be allowed to use ctags. And I would recommend everybody
to use it - it's a great tool, it's a hell to navigate the code without
it (grep-grep, yeah). But everyone is free to pick his own way of
making his job difficult, if it looks simple enough.

Regards / Mit vielen Grüßen,
Sergei

--
   __  ___     ___ ____  __
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schroeder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer
      • Re: coding style change proposal: function parameter names inheadersSergei Golubchik17 Mar
  • [style] change proposal: function parameter names in headersKonstantin Osipov17 Mar
    • Re: [style] change proposal: function parameter names in headersIngo Strüwing17 Mar
    • Re: [style] change proposal: function parameter names in headersMats Kindahl18 Mar
      • Re: [style] change proposal: function parameter names in headersKonstantin Osipov18 Mar
        • Re: [style] change proposal: function parameter names in headersMARK CALLAGHAN18 Mar
      • Re: [style] change proposal: function parameter names in headersIngo Strüwing18 Mar
        • Re: [style] change proposal: function parameter names in headersMats Kindahl18 Mar
          • Re: [style] change proposal: function parameter names in headersReggie Burnett23 Mar
        • Re: [style] change proposal: function parameter names in headersMichael Widenius8 Apr