List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ingo Strüwing Date:March 17 2009 4:19pm
Subject:Re: coding style change proposal: function parameter names in headers
View as plain text
Hi Sergei,

Sergei Golubchik, 17.03.2009 13:46:

> And why would you prefer to consult the header file, and not the source
> file ?

It does usually contain the interface definition in a more compact form.
For example, when searching for the best String method for a certain
use, I read through sql_string.h, not sql_string.cc. In the header file
there is less scrolling, and the source file does not contain all
methods. :(

> I like it the way it is (and actually remove argument names from the
> prototype declarations sometimes) because that's how it works with
> ctags - any function definition is only one keypress away when one uses
> tags. But because tag file uses regular expressions to find a function,
> for example, /^Restore_info* prepare_for_restore(String *backupdir,/,
> it is not able to distinguish between the prototype

One could see this as a deficiency of ctags. I made an attempt to use
ctags ten years ago in the Adabas D project. I don't remember why, but I
was dissatisfied with it and stopped the attempt quickly.

Do you suggest a rule that every MySQL developer has to use ctags?

[There are already attempts to write code so that it is not possible to
understand it without the use of an integrated development environment. :((]

Regards
Ingo
--
Ingo Strüwing, Database Group
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Bömer
      • Re: coding style change proposal: function parameter names inheadersSergei Golubchik17 Mar
  • [style] change proposal: function parameter names in headersKonstantin Osipov17 Mar
    • Re: [style] change proposal: function parameter names in headersIngo Strüwing17 Mar
    • Re: [style] change proposal: function parameter names in headersMats Kindahl18 Mar
      • Re: [style] change proposal: function parameter names in headersKonstantin Osipov18 Mar
        • Re: [style] change proposal: function parameter names in headersMARK CALLAGHAN18 Mar
      • Re: [style] change proposal: function parameter names in headersIngo Strüwing18 Mar
        • Re: [style] change proposal: function parameter names in headersMats Kindahl18 Mar
          • Re: [style] change proposal: function parameter names in headersReggie Burnett23 Mar
        • Re: [style] change proposal: function parameter names in headersMichael Widenius8 Apr