List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:March 9 2009 11:17am
Subject:Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow up
View as plain text
Hi!

Roy> Mointy,
Roy> we should probably delay this discussion until the meta-discussions have
Roy> settled, but you raised some concrete questions that need answers :)

Roy> Michael Widenius wrote:
>> Hi!

Roy> Kostja,
Roy> thanks for bringing this up!
>>
Roy> I can raise a few issues:
>>
Roy> 1. switch style should be more specific. (I saw 4 different styles on a
Roy> brief scan of sql_select.cc).
>>
>> THere is only one style. However it's not enforced.

Roy> The description is too brief: It does not mention placement of switch
Roy> labels and embedded code.

Roy> "After switch use a brace on the same line, and do not indent the next
Roy> line."

The emacs rules that are part of the description handles that.
But I agree that should be cleary defined in text too.

>> In the 'perfect' world we could have a script that fixes the style on
>> or before commit to get rid of this problem.
>>
>> We have an old script, but it only works to 95 %;  Not good enough to
>> be truested for automatic fixing...
>>
Roy> 2. "space" advice for bitwise operators missing.
>>
>> Agree
>>
Roy> 3. How does class JOIN fit into the coding rules?
>>
>> Can you explain ?

Roy> All capital letters? Besides, the class name should be more descriptive,
Roy> like Join_operations (this is NOT a proposal). It could also be more
Roy> generic, like Relational_operations.

Yes, it should be made more descriptive.
Same with THD.

Roy> 4. How do we handle "modern" C++ (templates, namespaces, exceptions,...)
>>
>> Don't use them in the server code :)
>> (Especially templates and exceptions)

Roy> Using exceptions is a major change that would need careful consideration.

Agree.

Roy> Templates are already introduced - they need guidelines for when and why.

Templates are fine to use as long as they are used only to remove
casts in the code, not to generate code.

Roy> Namespaces - I think they can be useful in some places - but use with
Roy> care...

Agree.

Regards,
Monty

Thread
MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upKonstantin Osipov5 Mar
  • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upRoy Lyseng5 Mar
    • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upKonstantin Osipov5 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius8 Mar
    • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius8 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upRoy Lyseng8 Mar
        • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius9 Mar
          • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upJay Pipes9 Mar
            • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius11 Mar
              • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upJay Pipes11 Mar
                • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius18 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upStewart Smith17 Mar
  • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMARK CALLAGHAN5 Mar
    • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upIngo Strüwing5 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMARK CALLAGHAN5 Mar
        • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upIngo Strüwing5 Mar
          • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMARK CALLAGHAN5 Mar
            • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upJay Pipes5 Mar
              • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius8 Mar
                • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upJay Pipes8 Mar
            • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upKonstantin Osipov5 Mar
              • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMARK CALLAGHAN5 Mar
              • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius8 Mar
    • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upSergey Petrunia5 Mar
  • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upDavi Arnaut5 Mar
    • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upKonstantin Osipov5 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upDavi Arnaut5 Mar
  • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upJonas Oreland5 Mar
    • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upKonstantin Osipov5 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upJonas Oreland5 Mar
        • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upshlomo.swidler5 Mar
          • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Izioumtchenko5 Mar
        • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Izioumtchenko5 Mar
        • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upStewart Smith17 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius8 Mar
Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upKonstantin Osipov5 Mar
  • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMARK CALLAGHAN5 Mar
  • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius6 Mar
    • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upKonstantin Osipov6 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMARK CALLAGHAN6 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius8 Mar