List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:March 6 2009 4:04pm
Subject:Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow up
View as plain text
Hi!

>>>>> "Konstantin" == Konstantin Osipov <kostja@stripped> writes:

<cut>

Konstantin> I will be utmost happy if runtime, optimizer, replication, backup
Konstantin> and engines (i.e. all teams excluding the storage engines) agree
Konstantin> to have a single style.

We already have a style and a program that can convert most of the
code to that style.

In the end, it's just a question of running the program, cleaning up
the few things that went wrong and push the fix.

<cut>

Konstantin> I agree. How would you, however, enforce a single style in a
Konstantin> distributed organization without a single leader, like ours?

There is always leaders; Some more visible than ours.

I am still working on the MySQL code base and at least I will enforce
the current coding style on the MySQL-Maria distribution.  I don't see
why the MySQL group at Sun should not be able to do the same on their
code base.

<cut>

Konstantin> In the proposal, I suggest that a single module always follows a
Konstantin> single style. sql/ is mainly runtime and the optimizer. I
Konstantin> certainly hope that we will be able to follow a single style.

Having different coding styles per team is not something that would
work in the long term; This is especially confusing when team moves to
do different things in other parts of the server.  It's also hard for
anyone who wants to contribute code to the MySQL project.

The MySQL code is not that big that one couldn't enforce one single
coding style.

>> No role has been described for the external developer community. Can we
>> select our own style?

Konstantin> The suggestion is that the style is set for a technical area.  To
Konstantin> account for opinions of external contributors we need to develop a
Konstantin> notion of core contributors -- a sort of meritocracy, when an
Konstantin> opinion counts based on the contribution.  In any case, I am not
Konstantin> suggesting to exclude non-staff contributors from the decision making.

Good to hear :)

Regards,
Monty
Thread
MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upKonstantin Osipov5 Mar
  • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upRoy Lyseng5 Mar
    • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upKonstantin Osipov5 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius8 Mar
    • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius8 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upRoy Lyseng8 Mar
        • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius9 Mar
          • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upJay Pipes9 Mar
            • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius11 Mar
              • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upJay Pipes11 Mar
                • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius18 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upStewart Smith17 Mar
  • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMARK CALLAGHAN5 Mar
    • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upIngo Strüwing5 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMARK CALLAGHAN5 Mar
        • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upIngo Strüwing5 Mar
          • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMARK CALLAGHAN5 Mar
            • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upJay Pipes5 Mar
              • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius8 Mar
                • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upJay Pipes8 Mar
            • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upKonstantin Osipov5 Mar
              • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMARK CALLAGHAN5 Mar
              • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius8 Mar
    • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upSergey Petrunia5 Mar
  • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upDavi Arnaut5 Mar
    • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upKonstantin Osipov5 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upDavi Arnaut5 Mar
  • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upJonas Oreland5 Mar
    • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upKonstantin Osipov5 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upJonas Oreland5 Mar
        • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upshlomo.swidler5 Mar
          • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Izioumtchenko5 Mar
        • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Izioumtchenko5 Mar
        • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upStewart Smith17 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius8 Mar
Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upKonstantin Osipov5 Mar
  • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMARK CALLAGHAN5 Mar
  • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius6 Mar
    • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upKonstantin Osipov6 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMARK CALLAGHAN6 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius8 Mar