List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Sergey Petrunia Date:March 5 2009 6:43pm
Subject:Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow up
View as plain text
On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 07:42:01AM -0800, MARK CALLAGHAN wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 7:11 AM, Konstantin Osipov <kostja@stripped> wrote:
> > Coding style.
> > -------------
> >
> > All code contributed to the server must adhere to a coding
> > style. Since many parts of the server historically originate from
> > different development environments, it seems unnecessary to demand
> > that all technical teams follow the same style. Besides, the
> > existing code base doesn't satisfy this requirement.
>
> Excluding storage engines, I hoped that MySQL would go from no
> enforcement of coding style to enforcement for their chosen style. The
> URL you cite describes a style. Why can't all code other than storage
> engines accept that?

The problem is that there's a lot of code that's already there and is
using different styles. That code needs to be maintained (bugfixes, small
changes, etc), and this maintenance quite often involves digging in the
revision history. Code cleanups make exploring revision history much
more difficult- when one wants to see who/what patches touched a certain
chunk of code he has to navigate over all those huge search-replace
style-change patches.

I don't mind people doing whatever cleanups they deem necessary as long as
they then take full responsibility for all the code they've touched. The
problem is that typically they don't offer the second part.

As for new code, I agree that we should accept a single coding style and
stick to it.

BR
 Sergey
--
Sergey Petrunia, Lead Software Engineer
MySQL AB, www.mysql.com
Office: N/A
Blog: http://s.petrunia.net/blog
Thread
MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upKonstantin Osipov5 Mar
  • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upRoy Lyseng5 Mar
    • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upKonstantin Osipov5 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius8 Mar
    • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius8 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upRoy Lyseng8 Mar
        • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius9 Mar
          • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upJay Pipes9 Mar
            • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius11 Mar
              • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upJay Pipes11 Mar
                • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius18 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upStewart Smith17 Mar
  • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMARK CALLAGHAN5 Mar
    • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upIngo Strüwing5 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMARK CALLAGHAN5 Mar
        • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upIngo Strüwing5 Mar
          • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMARK CALLAGHAN5 Mar
            • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upJay Pipes5 Mar
              • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius8 Mar
                • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upJay Pipes8 Mar
            • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upKonstantin Osipov5 Mar
              • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMARK CALLAGHAN5 Mar
              • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius8 Mar
    • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upSergey Petrunia5 Mar
  • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upDavi Arnaut5 Mar
    • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upKonstantin Osipov5 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upDavi Arnaut5 Mar
  • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upJonas Oreland5 Mar
    • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upKonstantin Osipov5 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upJonas Oreland5 Mar
        • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upshlomo.swidler5 Mar
          • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Izioumtchenko5 Mar
        • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Izioumtchenko5 Mar
        • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upStewart Smith17 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius8 Mar
Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upKonstantin Osipov5 Mar
  • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMARK CALLAGHAN5 Mar
  • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius6 Mar
    • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upKonstantin Osipov6 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMARK CALLAGHAN6 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius8 Mar