List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:MARK CALLAGHAN Date:March 5 2009 3:42pm
Subject:Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow up
View as plain text
On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 7:11 AM, Konstantin Osipov <kostja@stripped> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> As a follow up to the MySQL University session on the coding
> style today, let me present a proposal for the process around it
> to your criticism.
>
> To those who missed the session: the main idea with the server
> coding style I advocate is that we need to revive it, make it a
> living document.
>
> The proposal below allows for flexibility within technical teams
> -- either to appoint a coding style captain, or vote on every
> change separately. A team can decide to share a coding style with
> another team.
> The main point is that the new process allows to introduce
> changes, and assigns out responsibilities, too.
>
> Coding style.
> -------------
>
> All code contributed to the server must adhere to a coding
> style. Since many parts of the server historically originate from
> different development environments, it seems unnecessary to demand
> that all technical teams follow the same style. Besides, the
> existing code base doesn't satisfy this requirement.

Excluding storage engines, I hoped that MySQL would go from no
enforcement of coding style to enforcement for their chosen style. The
URL you cite describes a style. Why can't all code other than storage
engines accept that? If there is a coding style per area then those of
us who work on code in multiple areas need multiple vim/emacs config
files. Code styles are bound to generate a lot of process and
criticism. With one style rather than many, much less energy will be
used for all of that.

And to make this more fun, how are files in the sql directory
classified? And who are the captains? How many different guides must I
remember if I were to review a patch?

No role has been described for the external developer community.

--
Mark Callaghan
mdcallag@stripped
Thread
MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upKonstantin Osipov5 Mar
  • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upRoy Lyseng5 Mar
    • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upKonstantin Osipov5 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius8 Mar
    • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius8 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upRoy Lyseng8 Mar
        • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius9 Mar
          • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upJay Pipes9 Mar
            • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius11 Mar
              • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upJay Pipes11 Mar
                • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius18 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upStewart Smith17 Mar
  • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMARK CALLAGHAN5 Mar
    • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upIngo Strüwing5 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMARK CALLAGHAN5 Mar
        • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upIngo Strüwing5 Mar
          • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMARK CALLAGHAN5 Mar
            • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upJay Pipes5 Mar
              • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius8 Mar
                • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upJay Pipes8 Mar
            • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upKonstantin Osipov5 Mar
              • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMARK CALLAGHAN5 Mar
              • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius8 Mar
    • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upSergey Petrunia5 Mar
  • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upDavi Arnaut5 Mar
    • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upKonstantin Osipov5 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upDavi Arnaut5 Mar
  • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upJonas Oreland5 Mar
    • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upKonstantin Osipov5 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upJonas Oreland5 Mar
        • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upshlomo.swidler5 Mar
          • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Izioumtchenko5 Mar
        • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Izioumtchenko5 Mar
        • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upStewart Smith17 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius8 Mar
Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upKonstantin Osipov5 Mar
  • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMARK CALLAGHAN5 Mar
  • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius6 Mar
    • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upKonstantin Osipov6 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMARK CALLAGHAN6 Mar
      • Re: MySQL University Session: Good Coding Style follow upMichael Widenius8 Mar