List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Hiromichi Watari Date:January 21 2009 1:17pm
Subject:Re: Query speedup thru multi-core processors
View as plain text
Hi Mark,
Thank you for your input.
I am not too sure if concurrent table scans in a transactional process is inherently
problematic if that is what you mean.
I must admit that I'm not all that familiar with batch key access to fetch multiple keys
so I need to research a little bit more to understand your suggestion.
Thanks,
Hiromichi

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 7:17 AM, Hiromichi Watari
<hiromichiwatari@stripped> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am interested in speeding up MySQL queries thru the
> use of multi-core processors such as AMD Phenom.  My
> strategy is to multi-thread the execution of JOIN::exec,
> st_select_lex_unit::exec and so on performing concurrent
> table scans.
> I have searched on-going works for this topic to no
> avail therefore I am assuming that at the moment no one is
> working on this and I am proposing to work on it.  And any
> comments and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
>
> Hiromichi Watari

I think you might make some storage engines very unhappy if you begin
making concurrent calls in the same transaction on them. Have you
considered taking advantage of batch key access to fetch or prefetch
multiple keys concurrently within a storage engine (under the API
rather than above it)?