List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:May 16 2002 10:07pm
Subject:Question
View as plain text
Hi!

>>>>> "Dennis" == Dennis Gearon <gearond@stripped> writes:

Dennis> I only joined to ask this one question, sorry. BTW, I am deeply grateful
Dennis> for all the work you guys do. If the following suggestion is one you
Dennis> think is a good idea, I might even write the code for it, (it would be
Dennis> my first, open source contribution)

Dennis> I would like to see a function in MySQL that calculates geographic
Dennis> distance between two points, (on the Earth, at first :-) It could be
Dennis> compiled in, or not, with a switch, like lots of other things. I would
Dennis> like it to take the form of:

Dennis> GEO_DISTANCE_2D(
Dennis> 	float lat1, float long1,
Dennis> 	float lat2, float long2,
Dennis> 	UNITS, SPHERE_FORMULA);

<cut>

Note that MySQL 4.1 already have support for geometrical data.

We will make the source tree of 4.1 publicly available as soon as we
have got 4.0-beta out, which should happen shortly.

Regards,
Monty

Thread
QuestionDennis Gearon8 May