List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:September 29 2008 8:04am
Subject:Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqle
a shared library?
View as plain text
Hi!

>> For mysql the data files are not a problem;  Any newer version of
>> MySQL can normally read any old version of the data tables.

Ian> MySQL does use various files like errmsg.sys, doesn't it? I did a
Ian> strace today since we're tracking down some crashes, it seems like it
Ian> opens some /usr/share type stuff. So at least in the normal Linux way
Ian> of doing things, it would be dependent on the system MySQL. (Or is
Ian> that what you were talking about.)

The errmsg.sys file is such that a new one works for all old versions.
Yes, libmysqld itself is depending on a few libraries (hard to avoid that).

Regards,
Monty
Thread
why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqle a shared library?Ian Monroe23 Sep
  • why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqle ashared library?Michael Widenius24 Sep
  • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqle a shared library?Ian Monroe2 Oct
Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqle a shared library?Ian Monroe24 Sep
  • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqlea shared library?Michael Widenius24 Sep
    • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked,was Re: why isn't mysqle a shared library?Antony T Curtis27 Sep
      • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqle a shared library?Ian Monroe27 Sep
        • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqlea shared library?Michael Widenius29 Sep
          • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqle a shared library?Ian Monroe29 Sep
            • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqlea shared library?Michael Widenius29 Sep
          • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqlea shared library?Shawn Green30 Sep
            • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqle a shared library?Ian Monroe30 Sep
      • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked,was Re: why isn't mysqle a shared library?Stewart Smith3 Oct
Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked,was Re: why isn't mysqle a shared library?Antony Curtis2 Oct