List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:September 28 2008 10:22pm
Subject:Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqle
a shared library?
View as plain text
Hi!

<cut>

Ian> Well thats all well and good, but lets remember the cost of static
Ian> libraries in terms of maintenance, not being able to share read-only
Ian> memory between processes and being much harder to update MySQL. Like
Ian> I'm guessing everytime a Linux distro updates MySQL they will want to
Ian> 'update' Amarok, or else there would be a mismatch between the MySQL
Ian> built into Amarok and the data files it uses (though I'm not sure how
Ian> likely a problem this actually is).

For maintenence purposes static libraries are less error prone;  In
other words, if you use static libraries in your application your are
not depending on what version of the libraries the user has installed
on his machine.

For mysql the data files are not a problem;  Any newer version of
MySQL can normally read any old version of the data tables.

The biggest benefits of shared libraries are less disk space and less
overall memory footprint if a lot of running applications use the same
libraries.

Ian> And just the practical matter that the way Amarok is designed with our
Ian> collections as plugins we don't have much choice anyways without some
Ian> cost in development time.

Ian> Also unlike Chandra we're not trying to capture every CPU cycle
Ian> analyzing huge databases; the average size of an Amarok database is
Ian> probably 10-20 megabytes. :)

Regards,
Monty
Thread
why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqle a shared library?Ian Monroe23 Sep
  • why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqle ashared library?Michael Widenius24 Sep
  • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqle a shared library?Ian Monroe2 Oct
Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqle a shared library?Ian Monroe24 Sep
  • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqlea shared library?Michael Widenius24 Sep
    • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked,was Re: why isn't mysqle a shared library?Antony T Curtis27 Sep
      • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqle a shared library?Ian Monroe27 Sep
        • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqlea shared library?Michael Widenius29 Sep
          • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqle a shared library?Ian Monroe29 Sep
            • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqlea shared library?Michael Widenius29 Sep
          • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqlea shared library?Shawn Green30 Sep
            • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqle a shared library?Ian Monroe30 Sep
      • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked,was Re: why isn't mysqle a shared library?Stewart Smith3 Oct
Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked,was Re: why isn't mysqle a shared library?Antony Curtis2 Oct