List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:September 24 2008 5:07pm
Subject:why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqle a
shared library?
View as plain text
Hi!

Ian> On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 3:41 PM, Ian Monroe <ian@stripped> wrote:
>> I sort of assumed that mysqle was a static library so that you could
>> easily include it in your application without having a run-time
>> dependency on MySQL. But as far as I can tell, mysqle requires a lot
>> of various support files just like mysql itself.
>>
>> So why is it a static library? Is the API not guaranteed to be ABI compliant?
>>
>> Could it be made a shared library instead? It would be more memory efficient.
>>
>> Ian
>>

Ian> It was pointed out to me that 'mysqle' is actually a term we made up
Ian> and probably no one here knows what I meant at a glance. So I'll try
Ian> this question again. :)

Ian> I just enabled MySQL embedded libmysqld support in Amarok and we're
Ian> having all sorts of problems since its a static library. Apparently
Ian> static libraries are fundamentally not supposed to be linked into
Ian> dynamic libraries but thats exactly what we're trying to do. Its
Ian> possible to use -DFPIC, -fPIC and such to work around it (which the
Ian> mysql library doesn't do by default,
Ian> http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=39288). But really it'd be easier if
Ian> libmysqld was a dynamic library.

Ian> Why isn't libmysqld a shared library? Could it be made one?

Normally you link a library to an application and in this case a
static library is usual as easy to use as a dynamic one.

It should be quite easy to provide libmysqld both as a dynamic and a
shared library. I agree that we should look into doing this.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqle a shared library?Ian Monroe23 Sep
  • why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqle ashared library?Michael Widenius24 Sep
  • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqle a shared library?Ian Monroe2 Oct
Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqle a shared library?Ian Monroe24 Sep
  • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqlea shared library?Michael Widenius24 Sep
    • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked,was Re: why isn't mysqle a shared library?Antony T Curtis27 Sep
      • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqle a shared library?Ian Monroe27 Sep
        • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqlea shared library?Michael Widenius29 Sep
          • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqle a shared library?Ian Monroe29 Sep
            • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqlea shared library?Michael Widenius29 Sep
          • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqlea shared library?Shawn Green30 Sep
            • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked, was Re: why isn't mysqle a shared library?Ian Monroe30 Sep
      • Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked,was Re: why isn't mysqle a shared library?Stewart Smith3 Oct
Re: why isn't libmysqld dynamically linked,was Re: why isn't mysqle a shared library?Antony Curtis2 Oct