List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:September 2 2008 8:13am
Subject:Re: cmake building on Linux or crossplatform
View as plain text  
Hi!

>>>>> "Reggie" == Reggie Burnett <Reggie.Burnett@stripped> writes:

Reggie> Michael Widenius wrote:
>> Hi!
>> 
>>>>>>> "Reggie" == Reggie Burnett <Reggie.Burnett@stripped>
> writes:
>> 
>> <cut>
>> 
>>>> Still, it's certainly worth a try. If it'd be relatively easy fix, I
>>>> don't see why we couldn't continue supporting it (e.g. build with CMake
>>>> on one of pushbuild hosts).
>> 
Reggie> I completely agree.  We could use cmake for all platforms where cmake is 
Reggie> supported and encourage the cmake guys to port to those other platforms. 
Reggie> Moving away from automake would be a dream come true for most.
>> 
>> I disagree.  There are more people that understands automake than
>> cmake and for the change is not for the good.

Reggie> That's not a good argument.  We will always better understand what we 
Reggie> have been using instead of new technologies.

The main argument is that don't break something that works. If cmake
isn't a full replacement for all interesting platforms and doesn't give
us something significantly better there is no reason to move.

Reggie>  I personally don't really 
Reggie> care what is used for the linux builds but *many* people in the company 
Reggie> have expressed regret that we are not leveraging Cmake on other 
Reggie> platforms.  Apparently there are lots of unix projects moving to cmake 
Reggie> and for good reason.  it is simply easier to use than automake.

Not if you know automake :)

Reggie> Technology continues to march forward and we are continually being 
Reggie> exposed to new and better tools.  Some will help us, some will not.  We 
Reggie> would be unwise to ignore tools because they are unfamiliar to us.

I agree we shouldn't ignore better tools.  I agree that it would be
good if we could support cmake too.  I was just mainly disagreeing
with the notion that "Moving away from automake would be a dream come
true for most".

Regards,
Monty
Thread
cmake building on Linux or crossplatformIan Monroe29 Aug
  • Re: cmake building on Linux or crossplatformChad MILLER29 Aug
  • Re: cmake building on Linux or crossplatformReggie Burnett29 Aug
    • Re: cmake building on Linux or crossplatformSergei Golubchik29 Aug
      • Re: cmake building on Linux or crossplatformReggie Burnett29 Aug
        • Re: cmake building on Linux or crossplatformMichael Widenius29 Aug
          • Re: cmake building on Linux or crossplatformReggie Burnett29 Aug
            • Re: cmake building on Linux or crossplatformMichael Widenius2 Sep
              • Re: cmake building on Linux or crossplatformReggie Burnett2 Sep
                • Re: cmake building on Linux or crossplatformIan Monroe2 Sep
                • Re: cmake building on Linux or crossplatformIngo Strüwing3 Sep
                  • Re: cmake building on Linux or crossplatformJan Kneschke3 Sep
                  • Re: cmake building on Linux or crossplatformReggie Burnett3 Sep
                  • Re: cmake building on Linux or crossplatformAntony Curtis9 Sep
                    • Re: cmake building on Linux or crossplatformStewart Smith11 Sep
                      • Re: cmake building on Linux or crossplatformAntony Curtis11 Sep
                        • Re: cmake building on Linux or crossplatformStewart Smith11 Sep
          • Re: cmake building on Linux or crossplatformSergei Golubchik30 Aug
    • Re: cmake building on Linux or crossplatformAntony Curtis9 Sep
      • Re: cmake building on Linux or crossplatformIan Monroe9 Sep