List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Harrison Fisk Date:August 5 2008 9:02pm
Subject:Re: Dynamic record sizes for HEAP engine
View as plain text
Hi,

On Aug 2, 2008, at 2:18 PM, Michael Widenius wrote:

> Hi!

> Igor> Update for those interested in this patch --
>
> Igor> Larry Zhou from Google and I have made a few bug fixes.
> Igor> The diff and zip files have been updated.
> Igor> Original diff can be found in "Deprecated" downloads.
> Igor> It's still based on MySQL 5.0.45.
>
> Igor> http://code.google.com/p/mysql-heap-dynamic-rows
>
> Thanks!
>
> I had an discussion about this patch with Brian two days ago. He is
> porting the patch to drizzle (basicly MySQL 5.1) and when he is ready
> I will get a copy of it and plan to add it to the MySQL-5.1-maria
> tree.

I finished this yesterday and it is now part of the drizzle tree.  It
was relatively straight forward, just had a few bigger conflicts with
some of the 5.1 changes for reducing contention around internal
temporary tables.

If I get some spare time, I hope to add the ability to not require the
key columns to be first in the table.  Once that is done, I wanted to
try to enable it for internal temporary tables (except those with
blobs) and do some benchmarks to see how it does compared to the fixed
width allocation.

Those are more of long term plans since I am only doing this in my own
time.  Dunno when/if they will be done.

Regards,

Harrison
--
Harrison C. Fisk, MySQL Staff Support Engineer
MySQL @ Sun Microsystems, Inc., http://www.sun.com/mysql/

Thread
Re: Dynamic record sizes for HEAP engineIgor Chernyshev31 Jul
  • Re: Dynamic record sizes for HEAP engineMichael Widenius2 Aug
    • Re: Dynamic record sizes for HEAP engineHarrison Fisk5 Aug
      • Re: Dynamic record sizes for HEAP engineMichael Widenius6 Aug