List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chad MILLER Date:July 10 2008 12:43pm
Subject:Re: Testing the Storage Engine API
View as plain text
On 26 Jun 2008, at 01:51, Amit k. Saha wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Has there been any efforts so far to test the Storage Engine API?
>
> A more detailed version of my query:
>
> The Storage Engine API is defined by the "sql/handler.h" file. Various
> storage engines implement all or some of them to suit their specific
> needs. That way, some of the API calls might not have been tested at
> all.  Has there been any efforts to actually test all the API calls in
> some way? Please note that I am talking about the API *not* the SEs
> themselves.

No, we haven't.  It's only tested through its usage in a dozen or so
storage engines, which is not a very good test.

My best idea at present is to implement a new storage engine (called
"apitest"?) that has some  concrete, known behavior (some good data,
lots of known bad data), along with lots of assertions about behavior
from the server, and then write tests that exercise those behaviors
from the SQL layer via the normal test suite.

- chad

--
Chad Miller, Sun Microsystems DB Group   chad@stripped   Orlando,
Florida, USA

Testing the Storage Engine APIAmit k. Saha26 Jun
  • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIMARK CALLAGHAN26 Jun
    • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIAmit k. Saha26 Jun
      • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIPaul McCullagh10 Jul
        • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIAmit k. Saha10 Jul
          • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIMark Leith10 Jul
            • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIBrian Aker10 Jul
  • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIChad MILLER10 Jul
Re: Testing the Storage Engine APINidhi Shrotriya15 Jul
  • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIStewart Smith13 Aug
    • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIMARK CALLAGHAN24 Aug
      • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIDavi Arnaut26 Aug
        • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIkentoku20 Jan
          • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIkentoku30 Jan