List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul McCullagh Date:July 10 2008 6:22am
Subject:Re: Testing the Storage Engine API
View as plain text
Hi Amit,

There is no documentation, so you have to read the code. Start by
looking at the example storage engine. The skeleton storage engine
(from Brian Aker) is a good starting point for the project.

Read the MyISAM handler to see how a non-transaction engine works, and
InnoDB to see how to handle transactions.

Best regards,

Paul

On Jun 26, 2008, at 10:25 AM, Amit k. Saha wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 12:51 PM, MARK CALLAGHAN
> <mdcallag@stripped> wrote:
>> Don't we need documentation before writing tests so that we know what
>> behavior to expect? Last time I checked, there was not much
>> documentation in handler.h. Also, how do you test an API on its own
>> without a storage engine behind it?
>
> Yes, Correct. We have to write a storage engine, (could be for test
> purposes only) which uses *all* the API calls that are made available
> in 'sql/handler.h'.
>
> AFAI understand (which I admit is very little) the documentation for
> what behavior to expect is only as laid down by the method signatures-
> the parameters, the return values. Correct me if I am wrong. What
> exactly is the expected behavior? How do I decide (If I want to)
> whether a particular storage engine is conforming to the API strictly?
>
> Thanks,
> Amit
> --
> Amit Kumar Saha
> http://blogs.sun.com/amitsaha/
> http://amitksaha.blogspot.com
> Skype: amitkumarsaha

Testing the Storage Engine APIAmit k. Saha26 Jun
  • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIMARK CALLAGHAN26 Jun
    • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIAmit k. Saha26 Jun
      • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIPaul McCullagh10 Jul
        • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIAmit k. Saha10 Jul
          • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIMark Leith10 Jul
            • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIBrian Aker10 Jul
  • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIChad MILLER10 Jul
Re: Testing the Storage Engine APINidhi Shrotriya15 Jul
  • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIStewart Smith13 Aug
    • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIMARK CALLAGHAN24 Aug
      • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIDavi Arnaut26 Aug
        • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIkentoku20 Jan
          • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIkentoku30 Jan