List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:MARK CALLAGHAN Date:June 26 2008 7:21am
Subject:Re: Testing the Storage Engine API
View as plain text
Don't we need documentation before writing tests so that we know what
behavior to expect? Last time I checked, there was not much
documentation in handler.h. Also, how do you test an API on its own
without a storage engine behind it? It would be useful to have a
regression test framework for storage engines. The MySQL regression
test framework (mysql-test) is hardwired so that MyISAM and InnoDB get
most of the attention. Authors of new storage engines are out of luck.

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 10:51 PM, Amit k. Saha <amitsaha.in@stripped> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Has there been any efforts so far to test the Storage Engine API?
>
> A more detailed version of my query:
>
> The Storage Engine API is defined by the "sql/handler.h" file. Various
> storage engines implement all or some of them to suit their specific
> needs. That way, some of the API calls might not have been tested at
> all.  Has there been any efforts to actually test all the API calls in
> some way? Please note that I am talking about the API *not* the SEs
> themselves.
>
> Comments appreciated.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> --Amit
>
> --
> Amit Kumar Saha
> http://blogs.sun.com/amitsaha/
> http://amitksaha.blogspot.com
> Skype: amitkumarsaha

Mark Callaghan
mdcallag@stripped
Thread
Testing the Storage Engine APIAmit k. Saha26 Jun
  • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIMARK CALLAGHAN26 Jun
    • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIAmit k. Saha26 Jun
      • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIPaul McCullagh10 Jul
        • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIAmit k. Saha10 Jul
          • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIMark Leith10 Jul
            • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIBrian Aker10 Jul
  • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIChad MILLER10 Jul
Re: Testing the Storage Engine APINidhi Shrotriya15 Jul
  • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIStewart Smith13 Aug
    • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIMARK CALLAGHAN24 Aug
      • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIDavi Arnaut26 Aug
        • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIkentoku20 Jan
          • Re: Testing the Storage Engine APIkentoku30 Jan