List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mark Callaghan Date:November 23 2007 5:45pm
Subject:Re: MySQL 6.0.3-alpha has been released!
View as plain text
Looking at the things you are removing in MySQL 6.0, I guess that
MySQL still is not an enterprise database. Enterprise means that you
must preserve backwards compatibility unless there is a good reason
not to, such as performance or correctness.

What is the reason for removing these? Is it really to expensive to
parse 'table_type' and the rest of these? If they are removed, you
make MySQL much more expensive to operate for customers upgrading to
MySQL 6 and for customers trying to operate in a mixed mode
environment. Our tools must either change to use the new syntax when
the new syntax works on all DBMS versions, or we must support multiple
versions.

Yes, I know that most or all of these have long been described as
'deprecated'. That doesn't make me any happier when I have to do work
for needless changes.

 The following constructs are deprecated and have been removed in
MySQL 6.0. Where alternatives are shown, applications should be
updated to use them.
* The table_type system variable (use storage_engine).
* The TYPE table option to specify the storage engine for CREATE TABLE
or ALTER TABLE (use ENGINE).
* The SHOW TABLE TYPES SQL statement (use SHOW ENGINES).
* The SHOW INNODB STATUS and SHOW MUTEX STATUS SQL statements (use
SHOW ENGINE INNODB STATUS for both of these).