List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Elliot Murphy Date:August 31 2006 8:57pm
Subject:Re: SHOW PROFILE and PATCH/5.1: Change thd->proc_info accesses to a macro
View as plain text
This reminds me - I asked the runtime team about it,
and Kostja thought the change was OK, but preferred
to see it as an inline function rather than a macro.

Jeremy, I'm sorry I neglected to forward that feedback on.

JimW also commented on-list suggesting that a method should be
added to the THD class instead.

Jeremy, what do you think of of these review comments?
It should be easy to add this once we agree on the changes.

cheers,
-elliot

On Aug 31, 2006, at 4:34 PM, Lenz Grimmer wrote:

> Hi Jeremy,
>
> On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, Jeremy Cole wrote:
>
>> Some of you have already heard about an upcoming feature for
>> tracing queries
>> through the MySQL server, tentatively called SHOW PROFILE.  If
>> you'd like to
>> get excited about it, here's an example:
>>
>>   http://jcole.us/files/show_profile2.txt [1]
>>
>> I am contributing and doing the work on this feature in a few stages:
>>
>> 0. Change thd->proc_info access to a macro
>> 1. Add code for SHOW PROFILE command itself
>> 2. Clean up nonsensical or useless proc_info changes
>> 3. Add more useful proc_info changes where appropriate
>>
>> Please see the attached patch against 5.1 (2006-07-28 BitKeeper
>> tree) for
>> stage 0, which I am hereby contributing under the CLA, to change
>> all write
>> accesses to the thd->proc_info thread variable to a macro.  If you
>> prefer you
>> may also download the patch here:
>>
>>   http://jcole.us/patches/mysql/5.1/profile/00-macro-20060729.patch
>>
>> Getting this code integrated as soon as possible will allow for
>> much easier
>> and quicker development of the final patch for stage 1 and
>> beyond.  Without
>> stage 0 accepted and implemented, the rest of the work is too
>> difficult and
>> time-consuming.
>>
>> If you are interested in the new feature, let me know!  I'd love
>> to hear some
>> feedback!
>>
>> [1] Note that all of the functionality here is currently working,
>> but the code
>> is fairly ugly, and written against an older 5.1 version.  I am
>> currently
>> re-implementing things to clean everything up and get it contributed.
>
> Has there been any update on this? I wonder if we made any progress
> in getting
> your contribution reviewed and incoporated.
>
> If not, how can we proceed here? This looks like cool stuff.
> Unfortunately I
> can't comment on the code itself :(
>
> Bye,
> 	LenZ
> - --
>  Lenz Grimmer <lenz@stripped>
>  Community Relations Manager, EMEA
>  MySQL GmbH, http://www.mysql.de/, Hamburg, Germany
>  Visit the MySQL Forge at http://forge.mysql.com/

Elliot Murphy
elliot@stripped

Thread
SHOW PROFILE and PATCH/5.1: Change thd->proc_info accesses to a macroJeremy Cole31 Jul
  • Re: SHOW PROFILE and PATCH/5.1: Change thd->proc_info accesses to a macroJim Winstead31 Jul
    • Re: SHOW PROFILE and PATCH/5.1: Change thd->proc_info accesses toa macroJeremy Cole1 Aug
  • Re: SHOW PROFILE and PATCH/5.1: Change thd->proc_info accesses toa macroLenz Grimmer31 Aug
    • Re: SHOW PROFILE and PATCH/5.1: Change thd->proc_info accesses to a macroElliot Murphy31 Aug
      • Re: SHOW PROFILE and PATCH/5.1: Change thd->proc_info accesses toa macroMarc Alff1 Sep
        • Re: SHOW PROFILE and PATCH/5.1: Change thd->proc_info accesses toa macroJeremy Cole1 Sep
    • Re: SHOW PROFILE and PATCH/5.1: Change thd->proc_info accesses toa macroMarc Alff5 Sep
      • Re: SHOW PROFILE and PATCH/5.1: Change thd->proc_info accesses toa macroJeremy Cole5 Sep