List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:February 8 2002 12:39pm
Subject:Re: Manual references to safe_mysqld
View as plain text
Hi!

>>>>> "Jeremy" == Jeremy Zawodny <jzawodn@stripped> writes:

Jeremy> On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 03:27:17PM -0500, Ken Menzel wrote:
>> With MySQL 4.0 are we not supposed to be using mysqld_safe?
>> Should'nt references in the manual be modified from safe_mysqld to
>> mysqld_safe?

Jeremy> I think so.  I just did that recently in my book.  Imagine how many
Jeremy> times I got it backwards and ended up second-guessing myself. :-(

Yes, on is suppled to use mysqld_safe on MySQL 4.0.

We have been a bit reluctant to update the manual, as most of our
users are still using 3.23 and could easily be confused by this.

I think we should wait until 4.0 goes into beta before doing the update.

>> I could make this change if you like.  Also I am getting ready to
>> update references to freebsd.  Not being familiar with bitkeeper I
>> assume I use: bk send -d manual.texi

This would be ok.

Jeremy> I'm not sure how they're generated (possibly from the manual), but the
Jeremy> INSTALL-SOURCE and INSTALL-BINARY files in 4.x also have references to
Jeremy> safe_mysqld rather than mysqld_safe.

These files are automaticly generated from the manual.

Regards,
Monty

--
For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/