List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:February 10 2002 6:36pm
Subject:Re: Jailed MySQL for hosting customers
View as plain text
Hi!

>> Without giving away an "trade secrets", the plan is to run a lot of
>> separate MySQL server instances on a each machine (there will be
>> "many" MySQL server machines).  Each user will get a MySQL server (in
>> the daemon sense, not the machine sense) all to themselves.  Each
>> MySQL server will run with a different uid.  This will give us the
>> ability to control the process using standard Unix process limits and
>> all that good stuff.

David> We thought about that, but isn't that quite resource intensive?  Even with
David> only a few hundred users, I don't think a single box could handle it.  But
David> the same box should be able to easily handle the same number if it was a
David> single server.  You'd have to set each server to use very little RAM for
David> buffers, which would cause a lot more disk and CPU overhead.  Even when they
David> are all sitting idle, they are taking up memory.  Is the problem not as bad
David> as I think it would be?

As long as you don't set up a big key cache for all users, there isn't
that much memory higher overhead to run many MySQL servers than to run
one; It's actually better to run many MySQL servers / box as this will
ensure that one user can't accidently crash things for many other
users if he finds out some way to take down MySQL.

David> I think my idea for a modification makes more sense, since it better
David> utilizes resources.  But if that's wrong, I'd really like to know why.

The two only 'notable' global caches MySQL uses are:

table cache
key_cache
max_connections

If you set the table cache to 64, the key cache to 0 and
max_connections to 10, you will have a setup that is usable for most
of your 'low volume' users, without any significant overhead.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Jailed MySQL for hosting customersDavid Phillips5 Feb
  • Re: Jailed MySQL for hosting customersSasha Pachev5 Feb
  • Re: Jailed MySQL for hosting customersDavid Phillips5 Feb
    • Re: Jailed MySQL for hosting customersSasha Pachev5 Feb
  • Re: Jailed MySQL for hosting customersAlexander Keremidarski5 Feb
    • Re: Jailed MySQL for hosting customersMichael Widenius10 Feb
  • Re: Jailed MySQL for hosting customersDavid Phillips5 Feb
    • Re: Jailed MySQL for hosting customersPaul DuBois5 Feb
    • Re: Jailed MySQL for hosting customersMichael Widenius10 Feb
  • Re: Jailed MySQL for hosting customersJeremy Zawodny6 Feb
  • Re: Jailed MySQL for hosting customersDavid Phillips6 Feb