List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:January 8 2002 1:53am
Subject:Design comments. Temporary tables and privileges
View as plain text
Hi!

>>>>> "Alexander" == Alexander Keremidarski <salle@stripped>
> writes:

Alexander> Tables created as CREATE TEMPORARY has some problems in case of complex
Alexander> privileges system.
Alexander> I hope it is well known problem but, want to ask if you have plans to
Alexander> solve it and if any how.

Alexander> It seems that every possible way to solve it violates some basic
Alexander> concepts of MySQL

Alexander> Concepts:

<cut>

Alexander> Possible solutions:
Alexander> 1. Create some Database called temp for example and give everyone CREATE
Alexander> privs there but for Temporary tables only.
Alexander> 2. Change Privlileges system in way that when User creates Temporary
Alexander> table he is automatically granted ALL Privs on this table
Alexander> 3. Combine 1 and 2 so user can create only temp tables in temp database
Alexander> but he is granted permissions on this table(s) only.
Alexander> 4. Make 3 implicit i.e. all temp tables are created in some temp space
Alexander> (tmpdir for example)

It should not be hard to implement 2) for temporary tables. We will
look at this for next MySQL 4.0 release.

<cut>

Alexander> PS. Ultimate solution - Subselects will remove about 95% of reasons to
Alexander> use temporary tables :)

Actually no, as there is still lot of things that are easier and
faster with temporary tables.

Anyway, the good news is that we now have a developer that has
started to look at implementing sub selects, so finally things will
start to move in this regard...

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Design comments. Temporary tables and privilegesAlexander Keremidarski7 Jan
  • Design comments. Temporary tables and privilegesMichael Widenius7 Jan