List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:December 18 2000 5:07pm
Subject:Re: User level ASYNC IO
View as plain text
On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 05:32:04PM +0200, Richard Ellerbrock wrote:
> I have an implementation question concerning user level async
> IO. Is MySQL capable of using user level async IO as defined
> by the POSIX standard? Reading the Redhat Oracle performance
> FAQ, this is hinted at. User level async IO is available in
> the RedHat Extended Edition Kernel (2.2.16). This kernel also
> supports Large File Support and Big memory.

No, MySQL doesn't use this API.  Since MySQL is a multi-threaded
application, it's always doing many things at once anyway.  If
you are having performance problems with MySQL, there's something
else going on (check the manual section on how to deal with table
locking to find some good things to try).

Tim

--
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Tim Smith <tim@stripped>