List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ken Menzel Date:December 12 2000 4:19pm
Subject:Re: SMP & MySQL under FreeBSD
View as plain text

> On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 01:22:08PM +0200, Sinisa Milivojevic wrote:
> > And, I do not think that running two instances of MySQL on the
same
> > datadir is such a good idea. I think that it would bring more
problems
> > then LinuxThreads (on Linux, of course).
Hi Sinisa,   Can you give any specifc reasons why this would be bad?
I would not want experiment on a production server if there are known
problems!

 Thimble Smith wrote:
> Normally I would agree with Sinisa, but in this case (FreeBSD),
> I have heard evidence from a few other MySQL users that this does
> indeed work.

This is heartening,  this same discussion is taking place on
freebsd-stable.  Also be aware there are problems with threads on 4.2R
of FreeBSD.  Some were sourced with a couple of days to -stable (on
Nov 27th and after ,so cvsup to after that I picked Dec 5).  There is
also a patch being tested that backs out a change made to 4.2R,  this
has not yet been sourced.  I can foward that patch if anyone would
like to e-mail me (or just check the archives of freebsd-stable).

Regarding using Linux Threads on FBSD it seems no one has made it
compile yet,  but some suggest there may not be a performance
enhancement gained by that task if two or more MySQLd's can be started
and run safely.

Looking forward to you comments.

Ken

Thread