List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:October 21 2001 5:13am
Subject:Re: renice -20 $$
View as plain text
Hi!

>>>>> "Sasha" == Sasha Pachev <sasha@stripped> writes:

Sasha> On Wednesday 17 October 2001 13:37, Timothy Smith wrote:
>> On 2001 Oct 17, Sasha Pachev <sasha@stripped> wrote:
>>
>> <cut - question about NOHUP_NICENESS stuff in safe_mysqld>
>>
>> > Just remove that code. It is buggy, does not do any good if you
>> > renice yourself manually, and will crash if you add renice -20
>> > $$ in safe_mysqld too early.
>>
>> Why is it buggy?  Probably it could be fixed if you can get me
>> a test case.

Sasha> Do renice -20 $$ in the shell before running safe_mysqld...

And what happens then ?
When you post a bug report, then PLEASE include all facts and possible
problems;  This will save us all a lot of time.

Anyway, the above problem (that mysqld will not start because nice
---15 doesn't work) is not a critical bug!

The above problem is not an argument to remove the current code in
safe_mysqld;  Removing it is a worse option than to keep it.

The current code is good in the common case where you don't renice
mysqld, which is something that most users do; The reason we have the
code is that we need to add 'nohup' before starting myqld.  The code
is there to take care of that nohup will not change the priority for
the mysqld daemon.

We don't have to worry about the case where someone changes safe_mysqld.sh
in a wrong way (We can never fix that for all cases).

Tim, the problem is that if the current priority is negative, then
we are now doing something like nice ---20 instead of nice -20 ;  This
should be trivial for you to fix in safe_mysqld

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Re: renice -20 $$Timothy Smith17 Oct
  • Re: renice -20 $$Sasha Pachev17 Oct
    • Re: renice -20 $$Michael Widenius24 Oct