List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:October 20 2001 2:47pm
Subject:Re: New server/client protocol
View as plain text
Hi!

>>>>> "Jeremy" == Jeremy Zawodny <jzawodn@stripped> writes:

Jeremy> On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 12:40:31AM +0300, Michael Widenius wrote:

>> Benefits (of BIND):
>> - The server doesn't have to convert numbers to strings before sending them
>> to the client.
>> - The clients doesn't have to convert numbers to strings or escape strings
>> when using PREPARE.
>>
>> Disadvantages:
>> - Bigger client library.
>> - A lot of convert functions in the client (double->string ...)
>> - More things to document and test.
>> - Need of more examples.

Jeremy> How will the impact the query cache that's been discussed before?

Not notable;  In the worst case a query may be stored twice in the
query cache, if you are fetching data both through the BIND statement
and the 'old' way.  As this is a unlikely scenario, I don't think we
have to worry about this.

Jeremy> Will it simply be generic and cache prepared queries, will it cache
Jeremy> prepared and non-prepared queries, or something else?

For selects, I think we should start by only caching non-prepared
queries.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
New server/client protocolMichael Widenius16 Oct
  • Re: New server/client protocolJochen Wiedmann16 Oct
    • Re: New server/client protocolMichael Widenius17 Oct
  • Re: New server/client protocolSinisa Milivojevic16 Oct
  • Re: New server/client protocolJeremy Zawodny20 Oct
    • Re: New server/client protocolSinisa Milivojevic20 Oct
    • Re: New server/client protocolMichael Widenius24 Oct