List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:December 12 2000 12:38pm
Subject:Re: SMP & MySQL under FreeBSD
View as plain text
On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 01:22:08PM +0200, Sinisa Milivojevic wrote:
> And, I do not think that running two instances of MySQL on the same
> datadir is such a good idea. I think that it would bring more problems
> then LinuxThreads (on Linux, of course).

Normally I would agree with Sinisa, but in this case (FreeBSD),
I have heard evidence from a few other MySQL users that this does
indeed work.

One person that I spoke with quite a bit (I can't remember who
it was at the moment, but could probably find it if I searched
hard enough, if you're interested) found that running 8 separate
mysqld's on the same data directory was optimal for his needs.
He found that the extra overhead with locking was minimal, and
the boost in CPU utilization made it worth while.  This was on
FreeBSD 3.4, I believe, so things may be different with the
latest FreeBSD (but I doubt it, unless you're using -CURRENT).
He found it to be as stable as with running just one mysqld, and
was very pleased with FreeBSD's performance.

So, give it a try, and let us know how it works for you.

Tim

--
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Tim Smith <tim@stripped>