List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:September 17 2001 9:19pm
Subject:Re: BDB table error
View as plain text
Hi!

>>>>> "Dana" == Dana Powers <dana@stripped> writes:

Dana> Certainly I understand how the deadlock can occur, but the question is why
Dana> is this acceptable behaviour? Is the application developer expected to
Dana> handle this case? If so, how? and shouldnt this be included in the manual
Dana> under BDB problems? If Im supposed to wrap _every_ sql call I make to a BDB
Dana> table with something like: 'do { query } while ( !deadlock );' why would I
Dana> even bother trying to use BDB tables? This seems to me like a _fundamental_
Dana> weakness of the BDB table type, and should at least be documented as such...

We shall will add som more documentation about this ASAP.

In MySQL 3.23.43 you will get the following error:

Error: 1213      (ER_LOCK_DEADLOCK)
"Deadlock found when trying to get lock; Try restarting transaction",

Anyway, the problem you are experiencing is something that is normal
with all transactional databases.  When you have many clients that is
reading/updating the same table there is always cases when you will
get deadlocks or other failure in the transaction and you have to redo
the whole transaction in the application.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Re: BDB table errorHeikki Tuuri16 Sep