List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul Cadach Date:September 5 2001 11:13am
Subject:Re: Some features to discuss
View as plain text
Hi,

> On Wed, 5 Sep 2001 14:12:08 +0700
> "Paul Cadach" <paul@stripped> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I looking for features which, at my look, would be nice:
> > 1. When someone have restricted access to a table (with column-ed
> > restrictions), doing 'select * from ...' must expand '*' to
un-restricted
> > columns only, not to all;
> > 2. As I understand, table lock prevents access to locked table from
other
> > connections, so if I lock table 'table1' and uses it in 'select * from
> > table1 t1, table1 t2 ...' nobody else will have access (read or write,
> > depends on lock type) to locked table 'table1'. So, question is: Why I
must
> > specify table alias in LOCK TABLES command to lock tables for which I
uses
> > aliases?

[skip]

> Regarding your first feature request, this would definitely break ANSI
compliance, plus it would confuse users at setups where column
> privileges are used.

May be to provide some type of 'set' variable which enables or disables this
feature? As for me, one collegue tries to open restricted tables in MS
Access, sees all fields (restricted and un-restricted), tries to import all
of them and gets error. Using this feature, this situation could be
avoided...

> Regarding your second question, this is arranged in such a manner in order
> avoid deadlock and make lock code smaller and faster.

As I understand, locking must be performed at tables, not at aliases. May be
using of aliases makes code smaller and faster, but I'm not sure that
locking on aliases helps avoiding of deadlocks.

WBR,
Paul.

Thread
Some features to discussPaul Cadach5 Sep
  • Re: Some features to discussSinisa Milivojevic5 Sep
  • Re: Some features to discussPaul Cadach5 Sep
    • Re: Some features to discussSinisa Milivojevic5 Sep
  • Some features to discussMichael Widenius6 Sep