List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Russell E Glaue Date:November 29 2000 8:00pm
Subject:More; Re: MySQL Slave-Master Feature Set
View as plain text
Well if no man can serve two masters, Netscape Directory and other
applications that have multiple replication agreements didn't listen.

My next question, since I need to run multiple daemons now to replicate
databases on different MySQL servers, how can I build MySQL without any
compiled set configuration information. I would like to supply all the
necessary configuration data from the command line or in my.cnf.

The two problems as I see it:
 (1) The $DATADIR my.cnf (or my.cfg as I have also seen it documented in
the 'safe_mysqld' script) is not looked for in the given command-line
configured $DATADIR.  This fact is documented in the manual that my.cnf is
processed before any command line arguments... thus my.cnf is taken from
the compiled DATADIR (instead of the command-line argument as I prefer).
 (2) I can specify a seperate access log, but not error log. (mysqld does
not accept --err-log=/path/to/host.err even though mysql.server startup
script has *kind of* documented it).  The mysqld seems to not allow the
error log to be located anywhere other than in the compiled-in data
directory (not the $DATADIR given at run-time on the command line).

It appears if I want "completely seperate" multiple mysqld servers on one
host, my only choice is to compile mysqld for each instance I need so I
can have individual my.cnf and error logs for each daemon.

A. Does anyone know of a trick to getting around this?  I'd like to
  specify everything on the command line and my.cnf and have it actually
  work correctly. AND only compiling mysqld once.
B. Is there any plans to accomodate full dynamic reconfiguration via the
  comand line and 'my.cnf'?

-RG

** RUSS'S MYSQL WISH LIST **
1) Multi-master / multiple replication agreements for a single mysqld
2) Full dynamic command-line mysqld configuration
##