List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:August 30 2001 12:30pm
Subject:PERL/SQL - Re: PL/SQL
View as plain text
Hi!

>>>>> "Russell" == Russell E Glaue <rglaue@stripped> writes:

Russell> At two past particular times, I have tried to open a discussion on this
Russell> list of combining PERL into MySQL as a higher generation PERL/SQL language
Russell> internal to MySQL.
Russell> 	I think it would be too big a project to create, from scratch, an
Russell> internal language to MySQL like PL/SQL.  This is why I think it might be
Russell> better to use something like PERL/SQL which pretty much already exists and
Russell> would just be needed to be intertwined with MySQL's SQL language.
Russell> PERL/SQL already exists as a PERL shaared library that can be included
Russell> into other applications.  A Short synatax can interface MySQL to PERL to
Russell> create PERL/SQL. Then we could have in MySQL, temporary tables and such.

Russell> -RG

In the long run we want to have both.

There is a couple of different ways to go:

It should not be too hard to extend our Item structure to provide a
lot of the functionality you have in ANSI SQL 99 and we are going to
look into this when 4.1 is out.

We also want to have a way to easily provide support for multiple
programming languages in MYSQL.  We already thought we had found
someone that should do this for us, but unfortunately he hasn't had
time to start on this yet.  Now we trying to find someone else to do
this and we may already have a candidate for this.

If anyone else would be intersted in working on this, please email me or
this list about it!

Regards,
Monty
Thread
bk commit into 4.0 treesasha30 Aug
  • PL/SQLShane Adams30 Aug
    • PERL/SQL - Re: PL/SQLRussell E Glaue30 Aug
      • Re: PERL/SQL - Re: PL/SQLMichael Salmon30 Aug
      • PERL/SQL - Re: PL/SQLMichael Widenius30 Aug
    • Re: PERL/SQL - Re: PL/SQLDana Powers30 Aug
      • Re: PERL/SQL - Re: PL/SQLTimothy Smith30 Aug
        • Re: PERL/SQL - Re: PL/SQLSasha Pachev31 Aug
          • Re: PERL/SQL - Re: PL/SQLJeremy Zawodny31 Aug
            • Re: PERL/SQL - Re: PL/SQLMichael Widenius2 Sep
              • Re: PERL/SQL - Re: PL/SQLRussell E Glaue4 Sep
                • Re: PERL/SQL - Re: PL/SQLMichael Widenius5 Sep
            • Re: PERL/SQL - Re: PL/SQLRussell E Glaue4 Sep
    • Re: PERL/SQL - Re: PL/SQLDana Powers30 Aug
      • Re: PERL/SQL - Re: PL/SQLTimothy Smith30 Aug
    • BitKeeper [ was PERL/SQL ]Dana Powers30 Aug
      • Re: BitKeeper [ was PERL/SQL ]Sergei Golubchik31 Aug
      • Re: BitKeeper [ was PERL/SQL ]Timothy Smith31 Aug