List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thimble Smith Date:November 22 2000 4:25pm
Subject:Re: Escape characters in type CHAR fields - problem?
View as plain text
On Wed, Nov 22, 2000 at 03:18:56PM -0000, Jez Tucker wrote:
> I'm not sure if this is the right list to post to (it's my first mysql list
> post) so please bear with me if I'm in the wrong place.

Actually, this should go to mysql@stripped.  It doesn't
have anything to do with the internal code of MySQL (unless, of
course, you were asking how to add in a new escape code to the
string literal syntax that MySQL supports).

> I've been reading the manuals regarding the inclusion of escape characters
> in CHAR fields.
>
> E.G. INSERT INTO <table> VALUES('hello\\nhow are you?');
>
> Am I right in thinking that one cannot, at present, insert an escape
> character (notice not escaped character) into the field?

No, it's so simple that you don't realize it.  Just insert the
actual value from your host language.

    mysql> select 'foo ^[ bar';
    +-----------+
    | foo bar |
    +-----------+
    | foo bar |
    +-----------+
    1 row in set (0.00 sec)

    mysql> select length('foo ^[ bar');
    +---------------------+
    | length('foo bar') |
    +---------------------+
    1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Note: I had to type ^V^[ to get the real escape character in
the 'mysql' monitor.  But in your real program, you won't have
to.  Maybe in your editor you will, though!

Tim

--
  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Tim Smith <tim@stripped>