List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:July 29 2001 12:53am
Subject:Re: Big Problems with mySQL returning incorrect information
View as plain text
Hi!

Sinisa> Nicholas Gaugler wrote:
>> I have had HUGE problems with mySQL v3.23.39 relating to mySQL returning
>> invalid entries on where statements.  Basic example:
>>
>> select id from table where statusid = 2;
>>
>> In the first case, a week or two ago, mySQL decided to return everything
>> that was a 4.

<cut>

Sinisa> This list is devoted to the internal functioning of mysql server.

Sinisa> If you can make a repeatable bug report, forward your mail, together
Sinisa> with file name of uploaded tables to bugs@stripped.

Sinisa was right with asking you to send the email to appreciate
mailing list (in this case mysql@stripped), but I thought you
would at least deserve a little more detailed answer.

The above sounds like the MyISAM index somehow got corrupted.
You can verify this by running 'CHECK TABLE table_name'.

Without some more information, I can't say what caused the corruption.
The manual page 'What to do if MySQL keeps crashing' has a lot of
suggestions of what you can do to find out what happened.

With MyISAM tables, you can specify in my.cnf 'myisam_recover', which
will automaticly fix MyISAM tables if mysqld would crash in the middle
of an update.

This is however more a 'last option' that you should use only when you
are sure your system works reliable.  MyISAM tables has proven
themself to be very reliable in MySQL 3.23 and if there are any bugs
in the current code, I would really like to find these!

Regards,
Monty

--
For technical support contracts, goto https://order.mysql.com/