List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:July 17 2001 3:05pm
Subject:Re: Potential MySQL replication bug
View as plain text
Hi!

>>>>> "Simon" == Simon Cocking <simon@stripped> writes:

Simon> [ Crossposted to the internals mailing list ]

Simon> Hi Sasha,

Simon> Good news -- I've isolated the cause of my replication failures.  While
Simon> discussing the problem with a colleauge, I realised that the
Simon> replication error messages were occurring in 30 sec intervals almost
Simon> 100% of the time.  Digging through the documentation revealed the
Simon> net_read_timeout and net_write_timeout variables.  I now have these set
Simon> to 600 secs each, and that fixed it.

Simon> However, in my mind these variables represent something of a design
Simon> flaw.  Essentially, any query which took longer than net_read_timeout
Simon> seconds to be transmitted over a WAN link would cause replication to
Simon> fail, with no obvious reason.  Now, when all replicated servers are
Simon> located on a fast LAN this problem never surfaces, but surely MySQL's
Simon> design should allow for replication over large distances?  If I
Simon> understand it correctly, even a client-server connection over a slow
Simon> WAN link would consistently fail in the face of a large query.

The above variables exists to ensure that a packet doesn't take too
long to be read/transmitted.   If you have slow connections and want
to support these, then you should set up the value for the variables.

Simon> Initially, my reading of the net_read_timeout variable led me to
Simon> believe that this value represented the amount of time that a query
Simon> connection would be *idle* before it was timed out and closed.

This is the meaning with the wait_timout variable

Simon> However, it actually represents the *total* amount of time a remote
Simon> query can take.  This makes it impossible to set MySQL up to perform
Simon> with 100% reliability when components are located at either ends of a
Simon> (potentially slow) network.

With the current variables you can:

- Ensure that no send takes longer than a certain total time.
- Ensure that no read takes longer than a certain total time.
- That the connection is not idle too long.

What timeout value have we missed?

Regards,
Monty

Thread
Re: Potential MySQL replication bugSimon Cocking17 Jul
  • Re: Potential MySQL replication bugMichael Widenius17 Jul
    • Re: Potential MySQL replication bugSimon Cocking18 Jul
      • Re: Potential MySQL replication bugMichael Widenius18 Jul
  • Re: Potential MySQL replication bugSasha Pachev17 Jul
bk commit into 4.0 tree (lenz:1.1629)lenz25 Nov