List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:July 4 2001 7:25am
Subject:async or sync protocol?
View as plain text
Hi!

>>>>> "Jeremy" == Jeremy Zawodny <jzawodn@stripped> writes:

Jeremy> We have a group looking at a long-distance MySQL implementation. The
Jeremy> network is reliable, so latency is the main concern. Is there much (if
Jeremy> any?) handshaking or flow-control overhead between a MySQL client and
Jeremy> server when the client runs a big select and pulls back all the
Jeremy> records?

No, there is very little overhead on the MySQL connection protocol.
When the mysqld sends a big result sets to the client, it will
assemble packets of 'net_buffer_length' (default 16K) and send these
with single writes over TCP/IP to the client. The client will not send
anything back during the whole transfer; It will actually not send
anything to the server until it's time for the next command.

Jeremy> There's obviously some overhead in TCP/IP itself, but what about
Jeremy> MySQL's protocol. The behavior I've seen so far doesn't conclusively
Jeremy> point me one way or the others, so I figure it's best to ask. :-)

Hope the above answers your question.

Jeremy> Thanks,
Jeremy> Jeremy

Regards,
Monty
Thread
async or sync protocol?Jeremy Zawodny3 Jul
  • Re: async or sync protocol?Sinisa Milivojevic4 Jul
  • async or sync protocol?Michael Widenius5 Jul