List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:July 4 2001 1:45am
Subject:idle connections
View as plain text
Hi!

>>>>> "Benjamin" == Benjamin Pflugmann <philemon@stripped> writes:

Benjamin> Hi, all!
Benjamin> Recently, it happened to me, that the MySQL server has reached the
Benjamin> max_connections limit and therefore did not respond to new clients
Benjamin> appropriately.

Benjamin> Fact is, that I use mod_auth_mysql for authentication with persistent
Benjamin> connections and therefore about 100 connections were lying around
Benjamin> doing nothing, while others couldn't be established.

Benjamin> Although the original problem has been max_connections beeing to low,
Benjamin> I thought it would be a nice idea, to automatically kill the most idle
Benjamin> connection (if there is one), whenever the connection limit is reached
Benjamin> - and of course complain in the error log about it.

Benjamin> At least in my environment, this would have circumvented a complete
Benjamin> failure.

Benjamin> What do you thing?

<cut>

One problem is with this idea is that if you start getting a lot of
new connections so that you are constantly starting/releasing
connections you will run into the same problems as one tries to solve
with persistent connections in the first place.

This could however be an optional behaveour one could set with an
option. We shall think about this....

Regards,
Monty

Thread
idle connectionsBenjamin Pflugmann3 Jul
  • Re: idle connectionsSasha Pachev3 Jul
  • Re: idle connectionsRussell E Glaue3 Jul
    • Re: idle connectionsBenjamin Pflugmann3 Jul
      • Re: idle connectionsJeremy Zawodny3 Jul
        • recycle-idle-connection theory - Re: idle connectionsRussell E Glaue3 Jul
          • Re: recycle-idle-connection theory - Re: idle connectionsJeremy Zawodny3 Jul
  • idle connectionsMichael Widenius4 Jul
    • Re: idle connectionsBenjamin Pflugmann4 Jul
  • Re: idle connectionsSinisa Milivojevic4 Jul
    • Re: idle connectionsBenjamin Pflugmann4 Jul