List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Benjamin Pflugmann Date:July 3 2001 4:59pm
Subject:idle connections
View as plain text
Hi, all!

Recently, it happened to me, that the MySQL server has reached the
max_connections limit and therefore did not respond to new clients
appropriately.

Fact is, that I use mod_auth_mysql for authentication with persistent
connections and therefore about 100 connections were lying around
doing nothing, while others couldn't be established.

Although the original problem has been max_connections beeing to low,
I thought it would be a nice idea, to automatically kill the most idle
connection (if there is one), whenever the connection limit is reached
- and of course complain in the error log about it.

At least in my environment, this would have circumvented a complete
failure.

What do you thing?

Bye,

        Benjamin.

PS: Sorry, if this would be more appropriate on the general discussion
list.

Thread
idle connectionsBenjamin Pflugmann3 Jul
  • Re: idle connectionsSasha Pachev3 Jul
  • Re: idle connectionsRussell E Glaue3 Jul
    • Re: idle connectionsBenjamin Pflugmann3 Jul
      • Re: idle connectionsJeremy Zawodny3 Jul
        • recycle-idle-connection theory - Re: idle connectionsRussell E Glaue3 Jul
          • Re: recycle-idle-connection theory - Re: idle connectionsJeremy Zawodny3 Jul
  • idle connectionsMichael Widenius4 Jul
    • Re: idle connectionsBenjamin Pflugmann4 Jul
  • Re: idle connectionsSinisa Milivojevic4 Jul
    • Re: idle connectionsBenjamin Pflugmann4 Jul