List:Internals« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:October 29 2003 4:56pm
Subject:AIEEE! Re: bk commit into 4.0 tree (monty:1.1596)
View as plain text
Hi!

>>>>> "Paul" == Paul DuBois <paul@stripped> writes:

Paul> Does this mean that all the documentation that currently indicates
Paul> that the default service name for the server is "MySql" becomes
Paul> incorrect with the change described below?

When thinking about this, yes. :(

The reason for this change come from the fact that I wanted to add the
service name as one of the tags that MySQL would read from the
mysql.cnf files.   This would allow you to use one my.cnf file for a
windows computer where you are running many mysqld servers.

Using 'MySQL' would not work good as we already have a client named
'mysql' and thus we can't let the server read the [MySQL] section.

Miguel pointed this out for me and suggested that I should change the
default service name to MySQL because of this. I thought it was a good
idea but didn't think about the implications.

Paul> Or does the change to the default service of "mysqld" apply only
Paul> to the case that you say mysqld --install mysql --defaults-file=xxx ?

It applies to the case where you install mysqld as follows:

mysqld --install

but of course not if you do

mysqld --install MySQL-service-name

I agree that it's probably best to change back the service name to
MySQL and add a test that if the service name is MySQL then we should
not read the config section [mysql].

I agree that it would be confusing to old users that they would have
to, for new installations have to do 'net start mysqld' instead of
'net start MySQL'

Regards,
Monty

Thread
bk commit into 4.0 tree (monty:1.1596)monty28 Oct
  • AIEEE! Re: bk commit into 4.0 tree (monty:1.1596)Paul DuBois28 Oct
    • AIEEE! Re: bk commit into 4.0 tree (monty:1.1596)Michael Widenius29 Oct