List:InnoDB Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Luis Motta Campos Date:February 9 2012 7:44pm
Subject:Re: SAN guidelines for MySQL
View as plain text
On 9 Feb 2012, at 20:07, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 09.02.2012 20:01, schrieb Luis Motta Campos:
>> easily measurable return of investment than a (usually painful) migration to SAN
>
> what is painful in migration to a SAN?
>
> SAN storage will be mostly faster since modern
> devices having 1 GB buffers in front, your
> physical disk not and yes it is a hughe different
> between OS-chacing/buffering and dedicated hardware
>
> these days you can use VMware vSphere with dedicated SAN storages
> and failover with better performance as most physical installations
> with local storage

NEVER EVER THINK about running Databases on Virtualization Engines. They're not designed
to work together, and both make conflicting assumptions about your hardware. Specially
MySQL. I strongly recommend you to dive into MySQL source code and have a good long look
at it.

Abou the pains of SAN migration: (A) downtime, of a sort you cannot control and cannot
avoid by failing over from a master database to some replication slave; (B) expensive
scalability - if you're facing issues with the size of your data you will be looking for
ways to scale up your database cluster soon, and SANs are expensive to scale up; (C)
completely different infra-structure for your data-centre - a SAN unit will force you to
rethink the way you organize your database boxes in the data centre, and this is painful,
specially if you have been growing organically for a long time.

Well, those are my 0.02 cents on the subject. You should, above all, make up your own mind
from more than one source of information. ;-)
Good luck and kind regards,
--
Luis Motta Campos
is a DBA, Foodie, and Photographer

Thread
SAN guidelines for MySQLANIL YADAV9 Feb
  • Re: SAN guidelines for MySQLLuis Motta Campos9 Feb
    • Re: SAN guidelines for MySQLReindl Harald9 Feb