List:InnoDB Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Luis Motta Campos Date:February 9 2012 7:01pm
Subject:Re: SAN guidelines for MySQL
View as plain text
On 9 Feb 2012, at 18:04, ANIL YADAV wrote:

> I am Database administrator. We have a high transactional database. We want
> to move on SAN. Are there any guidelines for SAN designing? like stripe
> size, block size etc?
>
> If not then how we will be able to achieve high IO?

Hello Yadav.

From what you're writing I suppose you are dealing with a disk-bound workload.

Before starting to consider increasing your (disk) I/O Capacity with the acquisition of a
SAN, have you considered trying to make your workload memory-bound again, maybe with the
addition of enough RAM to your database server and some reconfiguration? I tend to
believe this solution class has offers quicker, easily measurable return of investment
than a (usually painful) migration to SAN.

If this is not clear to you or if you want to know more, please feel free to ask.

Kind regards,
--
Luis Motta Campos
is a DBA, Foodie, and Photographer

Thread
SAN guidelines for MySQLANIL YADAV9 Feb
  • Re: SAN guidelines for MySQLLuis Motta Campos9 Feb
    • Re: SAN guidelines for MySQLReindl Harald9 Feb