List:GUI Tools« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael G. Zinner Date:November 19 2007 6:25pm
Subject:MySQL Workbench OSS / SE Beta available for download - Beta testers
wanted!
View as plain text
Dear MySQL users,

after several months of hard development work I am proud to announce the
first public beta release of the MySQL Workbench project.

MySQL Workbench is a next-generation visual database design application
that can be used to efficiently design, manage and document database
schemata.

While this Beta first public beta is not perfect yet it marks a
milestone for the MySQL Developer Tools team and the tool will be the
team's flagship product for the next years to come.

MySQL Workbench Editions
------------------------

This release also introduces a new concept of how MySQL AB offers a
product to its users. MySQL Workbench will be available in different
editions.

The *Community (OSS) Edition* is available under the GPL. It is a
fully featured product that is not a crippled in any way. Being the
foundation for all other editions it will benefit from all future
development efforts.

The commercial *Standard Edition* extends the Community Edition with a
series of modules and plugins allowing for an optimized workflow. It
helps developers to save time and to avoid errors. This edition is the
natural choice when used in professional environments.

While we understand developers who would like to see everything being
available under the GPL we do think that this new approach benefits
both, our FOSS users as well as our commercial users. I would like
invite you to read more about this topic on the MySQL Workbench
Developer Central web site - and also share your opinion on the forum.

MySQL Workbench Developer Central - http://dev.mysql.com/workbench

MySQL Workbench is built on a highly customizable framework (GRT
Environment) that allows every user to easily expand the tool to their
needs.

Therefore we hope that a lot of users will share their plugins,
scripts, model snippets, etc. with other Workbench users.

To give the MySQL Workbench users a platform to do this we have created
the following website.

	http://dev.mysql.com/workbench

This site features a lot of information about the tool itself as well as
what is needed to learn coding for the Workbench.

We are still filling the pages with content and are going to integrate
it with the upcoming update of forge.mysql.com. So please excuse if
everything is not already in place right now.

Platform Support - Windows / Linux / OS X

MySQL Workbench will be available natively on Windows, Linux and OS X.
The first releases will be available on Windows only - followed by
Linux and OS X releases in 2008.

There are several reasons why we did pick Windows for the first
releases. Please read more about that on the developer central site. But
it is our intention to support all three platforms equally once the core
has been developed and stabilized.

Standard Edition Beta Testing
-----------------------------

If you want to participate in our Standard Edition Beta testing program
you are very welcome to do so. Please email your contact info to
workbench@stripped and you will get access to the testing program.

MySQL Workbench Downloads
-------------------------

Please download the Community Edition Beta from
	http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/workbench/5.0.html

Enjoy!

Mike
--
Michael Zinner, Team Lead, Developer Tools
MySQL AB, www.mysql.com

MySQL Workbench OSS / SE Beta available for download - Beta testerswanted!Michael G. Zinner19 Nov
  • Re: MySQL Workbench OSS / SE Beta available for download - Beta testers wanted!Dennis Gilmore19 Nov
    • Re: MySQL Workbench OSS / SE Beta available for download - Beta testers wanted!Alfredo Kojima19 Nov