List:GUI Tools« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jorge del Conde Date:May 15 2002 12:08am
Subject:RE: Problems with Text Editor and large BLOB columns
View as plain text
Hi!

> First of all, MAX_BLOB_SIZE of 512 bytes is pretty puny - the
> whole point of a BLOB/TEXT is that it can handle lots of
> characters - if I read correctly, somewhere in the gigabytes
> range. Maybe the maximum size should be user-configurable in
> the options menu? There should be an option 0, for "unlimited", too.

The reason for this is BLOB / TEXT fields should be limited to only
display MAX_BLOB_SIZE in the results grid, while maintaining their
complete value in the TextEditor.  The reason for this is because having
huge text in a Qtable can cause undesirable results and mem-leaks :(

As you can see MAX_BLOB_SIZE is defined to 512 which is much larger than
any field type other than TEXT & BLOB (and variances)!

> Editing a cell that's longer than MAX_BLOB_SIZE shouldn't be
> allowed - the "Apply" button should be grayed out, so that
> the user doesn't accidentally truncate his text. Or maybe
> there should some dialog box the user would have to read, or
> something.

This now works ok.  The truncated text is ONLY used for display purposes
in the results grid ... The TextEditor should not truncate any text at
all.

Regards,
Jorge
--