List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ann W. Harrison Date:May 14 2009 10:52pm
Subject:Re: Some more on IndexWalkers
View as plain text
Lars-Erik Bjørk wrote:

> I have been looking at the remaining cases where we are returned too
> few, or no, rows when doing a LIMIT query. It seems that when we find
> a node with a recordNumber >= 0 as the first node on a page, we forget
> to expand the key.
>
> I believed that this was deliberate, as the key should already be
> expanded, being identical to the last entry on the previous page.
> Looking at this in the debugger however, this does not seem to be
> the case.

OK.  As an index is created and grows, the last entry on page n will
be the same as the first entry on page n + 1 and the first entry on
each page will be completely expanded.

The reason for expanding the first node completely is that we
look at the first entry on an index page without having looked
at the previous page as we're coming down from the top.

The reason for duplicating entries is to avoid the cost of
looking at the next page if the first entry on the next page
is not in the range we want.  The last entry on a page is
NOT a valid index node and should not be used to look up
a candidate record.  If the key value of the last entry is
in range, the look up should resume with the first entry on
the next page.

That's the case when we're adding entries to an index.  When we
remove entries, the rules change somewhat - and my guess is that
they change too much.  A specific difference, as Vlad pointed out,
happens when you remove the first entry on a page.  It's OK not
to move the new first value to the previous page.  If you remove
the first entry on a page, the next entry is either the same or
higher.  In either case, the last entry on the previous page still
marks the end of range acceptably.  There's some loss of optimization -
you may read page n + 1 thinking that the first value is in range
based on the last value on page n, and find that the first actual
value on that page is not in range - and old in-range value having
been removed.

However, if we don't expand the new first entry, all hell breaks
loose.  So,

1) The value of the last entry on a page is usually the
same as the first entry on the next page.

2) The value of the last entry on a page is is never greater
than the value of the first entry on the next page.

3) The first entry on each page is completely expanded.

If #3 isn't true, it should be.

Cheers,

Ann
Thread
Some more on IndexWalkersLars-Erik Bjørk14 May
  • Re: Some more on IndexWalkersKevin Lewis14 May
    • Re: Some more on IndexWalkersLars-Erik Bjørk14 May
      • RE: Some more on IndexWalkersVladislav Vaintroub14 May
  • Re: Some more on IndexWalkersAnn W. Harrison15 May
    • Re: Some more on IndexWalkersLars-Erik Bjørk18 May
    • Re: Some more on IndexWalkersLars-Erik Bjørk18 May
      • Re: Some more on IndexWalkersKevin Lewis18 May
        • Re: Some more on IndexWalkersLars-Erik Bjørk18 May
      • Re: Some more on IndexWalkersJim Starkey18 May
Re: Some more on IndexWalkersLars-Erik Bjørk14 May