List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Olav Sandstaa Date:March 16 2009 2:48pm
Subject:New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibility and
how it is computed)
View as plain text
Subj: New TransactionState object

Hi,

In our Athens meeting I went through the alternatives for how to solve
the issues with the "RecordVersion to Transaction object pointer". We
agreed on that introducing a "transaction state object" (proposal 9
quoted below) seemed to be the best and least intrusive alternative.

I have not looked into the actual existing code yet but here is an
initial overview of how my current plan for the "transaction state
object" is (it might changes as I look more at the existing code and use
of it):

A. New data structure:
======================

   A new class called TransactionState will be introduced. This will as
a minimum store the following members:

   class TransactionState
   {
     TransId commitId;
     volatile INTERLOCKED useCount;
   }

   It is also likely that we will move the transaction id to this
   class (could save us from storing this in each RecordVersion
   object). The transaction state of the transaction might also be
   moved to this object.

   Changes to existing classes:

   1. The Transaction object will have a pointer to a TransactionState
      object. When committing the transaction the commitId will be
      stored in the TransactionState object, not in the transaction
      object.

   2. The RecordVersion object will have a pointer to a
      TransactionState object (replacing the existing pointer to the
      Transaction object) (if there is need for accessing the
      Transaction object from the RecordVersion object we will either
      keep the transaction pointer or have a transaction pointer from
      the TransactionState object back to its Transaction object)

   Goal with this new TransactionState object is to let it "live" as
   long as there is RecordVersion objects refering to it (and let the
   "real" transaction object be "purged" at "any time").

B. Controlling the "life span" of TransactionState objects

   We will use a reference counter in the Transaction state object for
   controlling when a Transaction state object can be deleted.
   Operations on this reference counter will be done by using
   interlocked operations (if would probably be possible to implement
   this without interlocked instruction but that would make the
   implementation a bit more complex and harder to maintain and the
   discussion in Athens concluded that the cost of using interlocked
   operations for this case should not be a performance problem).

   The reference counter will be incremented the following places:

    1. In the Transcation's constructor when the TransactionState
       object is created (we can also delay this until the first
       Record is attached to a Transaction (Transaction::addRecord())
       but it is simpler to just create it when we create the
       Transaction object)
    2. For every RecordVersion having a pointer to it (most likely in
       the RecordVersion's constructor - have not looked at the code
       yet)

   The reference counter will be decremented the following places:

    1. In the Transaction's destructor
    2. When the RecordVersion is deleted (most likely in the
       destructor)

   There should be no objects using the TransactionState object
   without having incremented the reference counter (or accessing it
   indirectly via the a Transaction object or a RecordVersion object).

C. Usage of the TransactionState object:

   The initial usage of the TransactionState objects will be as
   follows:

    1. Each time when creating a transaction object, we create a
       transaction state object and a pointer to the transaction state
       object from the transaction object.

    2. When we commit: the commitId is written to the transaction
       state object (not the transaction object). So the commit is the
       update to the transaction state object (not that it is possible
       that we also will store the state of the Transaction in the
       TransactionState object)

    3. Each time we create a record version object it has a pointer to
       the transaction state object - and the reference count is
       incremented (if needed also a pointer to the
       transaction object (hopefully not, alternatively have a pointer
       from the TransactionState object back to the transaction)

    4. When we need to compute visibility of records we only need to
       use the transaction state object. This will have at least the
       same life span as the record version objects pointing to it
       (thus the pointer is guaranteed to be valid)

    5. When the scavenger removes a recordversion it decrement the
       reference counter in the transaction state object

    6. When we purge old Transaction objects we decrement the referece
       counter in the Transaction State object

    7. When the reference counter reaches 0 we delete the transaction
       state object (by "self destruction")

That is the current plan - and as most plans it might change :-)

Please let me know if you have any feedback or suggestions.

Olav

Olav Sandstaa wrote:
> In addition to these I also have two new possible solutions:
>
> 9. (This is partly based on something Ann wrote: Make the transasction
> pointer indirect combined with my original proposal number 5: let the
> transaction objects live as long as there are record version pointing
> to them): Introduce a new "Transaction state object" that contains as
> a minimum the "commitId" but most likely also the "transactionId" and
> "state":
>
>     1. Each time when creating a transaction object, we create a
> transaction state object and a pointer to the transaction state object
> from the transaction object.
>     2. When we commit: the commitId is written to the transaction
> state object (not the transaction object). So the commit is the update
> to the transaction state object.
>     3. Each time we create a record version object it has a pointer to
> the transaction state object (and if needed also to the transaction
> object)
>     4. Each time we add a record to a transaction (ie. update a
> record) we increment a useCount in the transaction state object: This
> should not need any extra locking (I think)
>     5. When we need to compute visibility of records we only need to
> use the transaction state object. This will have at least the same
> life span as the record version objects pointing to it (thus the
> pointer is guaranteed to be valid)
>     6. When the scavenger removes a recordversion it decrement the
> useCount in the transaction state object (I think this can be done
> safely without locking given that we have one scavenger)
>     7. When the useCount reaches 0 we delete the transaction state
> object.
>
>   Issue/question: is there any other places in the code that will
> access this transaction state object than by accessing it from the
> record version object?
>
>    I assume when normal transactions accesses record version objects
> they are "locked" and this will implicitely also lock the transaction
> state object when normal transactions access it?

Thread
Problems with record visibility and how it is computedOlav Sandstaa21 Jan
  • search for null values in indexed columnsVladislav Vaintroub21 Jan
    • Re: search for null values in indexed columnsLars-Erik Bjørk21 Jan
    • Re: search for null values in indexed columnsKevin Lewis21 Jan
      • RE: search for null values in indexed columnsVladislav Vaintroub21 Jan
        • Re: search for null values in indexed columnsKevin Lewis21 Jan
      • Re: search for null values in indexed columnsJames Day23 Jan
  • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedOlav Sandstaa23 Jan
    • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedJim Starkey23 Jan
      • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedKevin Lewis28 Jan
        • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedJim Starkey28 Jan
          • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedKevin Lewis28 Jan
            • Cycle Locking (was Problems with record visibility and how it iscomputed)Jim Starkey28 Jan
            • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedAnn W. Harrison28 Jan
              • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedJim Starkey28 Jan
                • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedAnn W. Harrison28 Jan
                  • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedOlav Sandstaa26 Feb
                    • New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibility andhow it is computed)Olav Sandstaa16 Mar
                      • Re: New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibilityand how it is computed)Kevin Lewis16 Mar
                      • Re: New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibilityand how it is computed)Jim Starkey16 Mar
                        • Re: New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibilityand how it is computed)Olav Sandstaa19 Mar
                          • Re: New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibilityand how it is computed)Jim Starkey19 Mar
                            • RE: New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibilityand how it is computed)Vladislav Vaintroub20 Mar
                            • Re: New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibilityand how it is computed)Olav Sandstaa20 Mar
                              • Re: New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibilityand how it is computed)Jim Starkey20 Mar
          • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedOlav Sandstaa28 Jan
            • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedJim Starkey28 Jan
              • Another Idea for Transaction Lifetime ControlJim Starkey28 Jan
                • Re: Another Idea for Transaction Lifetime ControlJim Starkey29 Jan
              • RE: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedXuekun Hu4 Feb
          • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedAnn W. Harrison28 Jan
  • Quick question on row countsKeith Murphy24 Jan
    • Re: Quick question on row countsJim Starkey25 Jan
      • Re: Quick question on row countsKeith Murphy25 Jan