List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Kevin Lewis Date:February 18 2009 11:30pm
Subject:[Fwd: Index Discussion]
View as plain text
Lars-Erik,

Do you have any alternatives to Vlad's index idea for keeping VARBINARY
values distinguishable in a multi-segmented index?  If not, and all
other ideas will continue to produce wrong LIMIT results in the future,
then I think this is what we should do long term.

But if you start on this now  we will have our priorities mixed up.  The
only thing this buys us is the ability to sort (1) VARBINARY  (2)
strings of zeros correctly in a (3) multisegmented index, which only
reveals itself in a (4) LIMIT query.  That is a very narrow
justification for such a huge change to Falcon.

Both changes seem to require a new index version,  but Vlad's new
multisegmented index structure may even require an index3Page.cpp.  I
hope not.

The argument for doing it now is that we are pre-beta and now is the
time to change the index structure.

Any comments?  Now or later?

Kevin