List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jim Starkey Date:February 1 2009 3:26am
Subject:Re: NULLs and stuff
View as plain text
Vladislav Vaintroub wrote:

>> Problem is that Falcon is indirectly already released as Netfratructure
>> and therefore we have to keep track of ODF changes :-(
>>

> But, if there any evidence that falcon will be released back as netfrastructure?

Netfrastructure is my problem, not yours.  The primary customer is still
running 2.x (Falcon is 3).   Falcon, however, recognizes 2.8,
restructures the header page, and honors the older disk format.

I split off the Netfrastructure 3.0/Falcon code base in early
September.  The vast majority of the bugs found and fixed are particular
to Falcon as a storage engine rather than as the Netfrastructure
database engine.  Limit, for example, is purely storage engine as is
select for update.

Falcon should do what's best for MySQL and Sun, not Netfrastructure.
That, however, doesn't mean that it should write off customer databases
in the field unless absolutely necessary.  And this case, it isn't
necessary at all.

The ability to do rolling upgrades is a very important database
characteristic, though one that has been ignored by MySQL.  Doing one
now would be a very good experience (in fact, however, we've done a done
in the serial log subsystem -- didn't hurt a bit, actually).

Thread
NULLs and stuffLars-Erik Bjørk30 Jan
  • RE: NULLs and stuffVladislav Vaintroub30 Jan
    • Re: NULLs and stuffAnn W. Harrison30 Jan
  • Re: NULLs and stuffPhilip Stoev30 Jan
    • RE: NULLs and stuffVladislav Vaintroub30 Jan
      • RE: NULLs and stuffVladislav Vaintroub30 Jan
        • RE: NULLs and stuffHakan Kuecuekyilmaz30 Jan
          • RE: NULLs and stuffVladislav Vaintroub30 Jan
            • Re: NULLs and stuffJim Starkey1 Feb
      • Re: NULLs and stuffJim Starkey1 Feb
  • Re: NULLs and stuffKevin Lewis30 Jan
  • Re: NULLs and stuffAnn W. Harrison30 Jan
  • Re: NULLs and stuffJim Starkey1 Feb
    • Re: NULLs and stuffLars-Erik Bjørk2 Feb
      • Re: NULLs and stuffJim Starkey2 Feb
        • RE: NULLs and stuffVladislav Vaintroub2 Feb