List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ann W. Harrison Date:January 28 2009 8:15pm
Subject:Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computed
View as plain text
Jim,

Talking about keeping the size of a vector of transaction
commitId's indexed by the transactionId reasonably dense...

> Don't assign the id until the transaction actually does an update.

OK, so the Transaction object has four identifiers .... first, its
address, second its startId, third its updateId, and fourth its
commitId.  The address is in general use, the startId determines
what it sees, the updateId is written into its record versions,
and its commitId determines who can see its changes...  did I
get that right?

> We could probably make a sparse array that was updated exclusively with
> interlocked CAS -- something to think about when the dog and a fox get
> into a middle of the night bark-fest.

Yes, I was thinking along those lines ... and that "vector" changes
on transaction commit - thus once per updating transaction, not once
per record or once per record view...

Cheers,

Ann
Thread
Problems with record visibility and how it is computedOlav Sandstaa21 Jan
  • search for null values in indexed columnsVladislav Vaintroub21 Jan
    • Re: search for null values in indexed columnsLars-Erik Bjørk21 Jan
    • Re: search for null values in indexed columnsKevin Lewis21 Jan
      • RE: search for null values in indexed columnsVladislav Vaintroub21 Jan
        • Re: search for null values in indexed columnsKevin Lewis21 Jan
      • Re: search for null values in indexed columnsJames Day23 Jan
  • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedOlav Sandstaa23 Jan
    • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedJim Starkey23 Jan
      • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedKevin Lewis28 Jan
        • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedJim Starkey28 Jan
          • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedKevin Lewis28 Jan
            • Cycle Locking (was Problems with record visibility and how it iscomputed)Jim Starkey28 Jan
            • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedAnn W. Harrison28 Jan
              • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedJim Starkey28 Jan
                • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedAnn W. Harrison28 Jan
                  • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedOlav Sandstaa26 Feb
                    • New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibility andhow it is computed)Olav Sandstaa16 Mar
                      • Re: New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibilityand how it is computed)Kevin Lewis16 Mar
                      • Re: New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibilityand how it is computed)Jim Starkey16 Mar
                        • Re: New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibilityand how it is computed)Olav Sandstaa19 Mar
                          • Re: New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibilityand how it is computed)Jim Starkey19 Mar
                            • RE: New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibilityand how it is computed)Vladislav Vaintroub20 Mar
                            • Re: New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibilityand how it is computed)Olav Sandstaa20 Mar
                              • Re: New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibilityand how it is computed)Jim Starkey20 Mar
          • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedOlav Sandstaa28 Jan
            • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedJim Starkey28 Jan
              • Another Idea for Transaction Lifetime ControlJim Starkey28 Jan
                • Re: Another Idea for Transaction Lifetime ControlJim Starkey29 Jan
              • RE: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedXuekun Hu4 Feb
          • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedAnn W. Harrison28 Jan
  • Quick question on row countsKeith Murphy24 Jan
    • Re: Quick question on row countsJim Starkey25 Jan
      • Re: Quick question on row countsKeith Murphy25 Jan