List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ann W. Harrison Date:January 28 2009 7:30pm
Subject:Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computed
View as plain text

>> Suppose we had a reusable
>> transaction id as an index into a transaction state vector.  That
>> would tie down only a byte per transaction rather than a large
>> object.  We would still need a mechanism to recycle the transaction
>> ids, however.  Something might take a day and think about this...
>
> Sounds as big a change as cycle locking.  Let's talk about wait states
> with a cycle lock first...

I'm not sure that the state vector is that large a change - maybe
because I've worked with vectors of transaction states before.

It needs to be bigger than a byte - it needs to be the same size
as the commit id because it has to hold the commit id.  And it
ought to be a sparse vector - no point in wasting space on
read-only transactions.  And changing the state of an entry
has to be done carefully to make the effect atomic. And there
has to be some way to release the top of the list when nobody
cares about it any more...

But it has the advantage of working ... of course making it
sparse does complicate everything and gets back into locking...

Regards,

Ann

Thread
Problems with record visibility and how it is computedOlav Sandstaa21 Jan
  • search for null values in indexed columnsVladislav Vaintroub21 Jan
    • Re: search for null values in indexed columnsLars-Erik Bjørk21 Jan
    • Re: search for null values in indexed columnsKevin Lewis21 Jan
      • RE: search for null values in indexed columnsVladislav Vaintroub21 Jan
        • Re: search for null values in indexed columnsKevin Lewis21 Jan
      • Re: search for null values in indexed columnsJames Day23 Jan
  • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedOlav Sandstaa23 Jan
    • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedJim Starkey23 Jan
      • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedKevin Lewis28 Jan
        • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedJim Starkey28 Jan
          • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedKevin Lewis28 Jan
            • Cycle Locking (was Problems with record visibility and how it iscomputed)Jim Starkey28 Jan
            • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedAnn W. Harrison28 Jan
              • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedJim Starkey28 Jan
                • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedAnn W. Harrison28 Jan
                  • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedOlav Sandstaa26 Feb
                    • New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibility andhow it is computed)Olav Sandstaa16 Mar
                      • Re: New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibilityand how it is computed)Kevin Lewis16 Mar
                      • Re: New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibilityand how it is computed)Jim Starkey16 Mar
                        • Re: New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibilityand how it is computed)Olav Sandstaa19 Mar
                          • Re: New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibilityand how it is computed)Jim Starkey19 Mar
                            • RE: New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibilityand how it is computed)Vladislav Vaintroub20 Mar
                            • Re: New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibilityand how it is computed)Olav Sandstaa20 Mar
                              • Re: New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibilityand how it is computed)Jim Starkey20 Mar
          • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedOlav Sandstaa28 Jan
            • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedJim Starkey28 Jan
              • Another Idea for Transaction Lifetime ControlJim Starkey28 Jan
                • Re: Another Idea for Transaction Lifetime ControlJim Starkey29 Jan
              • RE: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedXuekun Hu4 Feb
          • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedAnn W. Harrison28 Jan
  • Quick question on row countsKeith Murphy24 Jan
    • Re: Quick question on row countsJim Starkey25 Jan
      • Re: Quick question on row countsKeith Murphy25 Jan