List:Falcon Storage Engine« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Kevin Lewis Date:January 21 2009 6:26pm
Subject:Re: search for null values in indexed columns
View as plain text
 > Vladislav Vaintroub wrote:
> Kevin, nulls are used by optimizer, and they are not *that* undeterministic.
>
> In a query like
> select * from t where a is NULL;
> if a is indexed or and if you have multisegment index where a is the first
> member, optimizer will ask you for NULL.

The MySQL optimizer is counting on the fact that NULLs occur in the sort
order before real values.  That is OK to set that requirement on MySQL
storage engines.

> Also this condition (a = 1 and  b < 0 and c=1), that seemingly has nothing
> to do with NULLs, will be translated into range query  lower=(1,NULL,1)
> upper=(1,0,1) by optimizer , if there is (a,b,c) index.

That aught to work, if we were to sort our NULL values before all real
values, even negative values.  But we seem to sort our NULLs with our
zeros when there is a nultisegment key.

Thread
Problems with record visibility and how it is computedOlav Sandstaa21 Jan
  • search for null values in indexed columnsVladislav Vaintroub21 Jan
    • Re: search for null values in indexed columnsLars-Erik Bjørk21 Jan
    • Re: search for null values in indexed columnsKevin Lewis21 Jan
      • RE: search for null values in indexed columnsVladislav Vaintroub21 Jan
        • Re: search for null values in indexed columnsKevin Lewis21 Jan
      • Re: search for null values in indexed columnsJames Day23 Jan
  • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedOlav Sandstaa23 Jan
    • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedJim Starkey23 Jan
      • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedKevin Lewis28 Jan
        • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedJim Starkey28 Jan
          • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedKevin Lewis28 Jan
            • Cycle Locking (was Problems with record visibility and how it iscomputed)Jim Starkey28 Jan
            • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedAnn W. Harrison28 Jan
              • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedJim Starkey28 Jan
                • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedAnn W. Harrison28 Jan
                  • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedOlav Sandstaa26 Feb
                    • New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibility andhow it is computed)Olav Sandstaa16 Mar
                      • Re: New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibilityand how it is computed)Kevin Lewis16 Mar
                      • Re: New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibilityand how it is computed)Jim Starkey16 Mar
                        • Re: New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibilityand how it is computed)Olav Sandstaa19 Mar
                          • Re: New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibilityand how it is computed)Jim Starkey19 Mar
                            • RE: New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibilityand how it is computed)Vladislav Vaintroub20 Mar
                            • Re: New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibilityand how it is computed)Olav Sandstaa20 Mar
                              • Re: New Transaction State object (Was: Problems with record visibilityand how it is computed)Jim Starkey20 Mar
          • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedOlav Sandstaa28 Jan
            • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedJim Starkey28 Jan
              • Another Idea for Transaction Lifetime ControlJim Starkey28 Jan
                • Re: Another Idea for Transaction Lifetime ControlJim Starkey29 Jan
              • RE: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedXuekun Hu4 Feb
          • Re: Problems with record visibility and how it is computedAnn W. Harrison28 Jan
  • Quick question on row countsKeith Murphy24 Jan
    • Re: Quick question on row countsJim Starkey25 Jan
      • Re: Quick question on row countsKeith Murphy25 Jan